• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fencing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Njhelp

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ
Purchased home 8 yrs ago and it had a chain link fence to right which was installed by original owners (we are the 3rd owners) and a wood fence to the left which was installed by that neighbor. However there is a chain link fence at the rear which starts and attachs to the right chain link fence on the property line. However upon reviewing my survey the fence goes on an angle to the left side at 1.5' out from property line and attachs to the rear property owners side fence. The rear property has changed ownership 4 times since the original owner and is now owned by an investor who has rented the property to a couple who own a pit bull mix dog who has tried to attack my 2 very small pedigree dogs through the fence and as a result I need to install a privacy fence. The big question is who actually has ownership of the rear fence?

154NH773

However upon reviewing my survey the fence goes on an angle to the left side at 1.5' out from property line and attachs to the rear property owners side fence.
It would "appear" from your description that your neighbor to the rear owns that fence. That may or not be true, and can only be determined by location of corner stakes, or by a survey that specifically locates the fence.

For the protection of your dogs, it might be advisable to completely fence in your yard. Make sure when surveying for the new fence that the chainlink fence to the right is actually on your property also. Give yourself enough room on the outside of the fence so you can maintain it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">