• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fencing Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P L

What is the name of your state? TEXAS

My neighbor owns land that borders 2 1/2 sides of my land. We helped him put a fence (labor) and offered on the other sides, but was turned down.

The side that is 1/2, was on the boundary line and presented no problem with us. One day he takes it down, and is now moving it to his side of the line.

He has now told us that we will have to put up our own fence. This something that we have planned on anyway.

He has told us that when his fence is completed and before we get ours up, that we cannot turn our horses out. Using his words "If we turn our horses out it will be a felony also trespassing". Also if we turn our horses out "just wait and see what happens."

My question is, is he in the right on this?

Buzz123

I think Texas is a free range state, requiring landowners to fence their land in, not stock owners to fence out. However local governments have the right to change this, so it would depend on your local situation. Might try calling your local animal control and asking. Better yet call a local lawyer.

P L

Thanks for your replies. We do plan on seeing an attorney, just wanted some kind of idea.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">