• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

FINALLY Got Neighbor a citation for ordinance violation - now what?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

usafdrew

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

Yesterday was a joyous day for me. Since 2007 I have had an ongoing battle with my neighbor and her dogs running loose. Numerous times to reason with her, then dozens of calls to city animal control with them only issuing warnrings (I believe she knows someone there). Well yesterday I video'd her 3 dogs coming from her backyard and chasing me in my front. Immediately called the Police and the officer agreed based on the call history and video I showed him that she clearly needs a citation.

Anyway, the officer told me briefly what to expect, but I'm totally new to legal proceedings. He gave me her case # for municipal court and the date on when she'll enter her plea. I found it odd tha that date falls on Veteran's Day, but I guess the city court won't be closed. Then depending on her plea I might have to appear as a witness. He said she could also plea not giulty to beg for a reduced fine, but I wouldn't have to appear for that. I asked that if i don't have to appear, how can I know the results? He said the only way I'll know is to call the court and they will probably only tell me if the case has been heard. Furthermore, if the case does go to trial, it won't be till around Feb '11.

I looked up the city codes about what fine she would have to pay. The citing officer did not know the amount. The section dealing with fines said for any code violation it could be not more than $1000 or not more than 12mos in jail. Is there any way i could find out if there's a set fine for 'leash law'?

So I'm still a bit in the dark here. I'm happy that something was finally done about her irresponsibility with pets, but I'd like to see things through and know that this had an effect. Since she won't listen to me or animal control, her purse is my only recourse at this point. I want to make sure that happens.

Last edited:

HuAi

She's charged with committing a minor crime. She will have to go to a court procedure called an arraignment (on veteran's day) and please guilty / pay the fine, or she can plead not guilty, and the case will go to trial (February date).

If the case goes to trial, the prosecutor will have to prove beyond a resonable doubt that she violated the ordinance. Your video will probably be evidence, and you may be called in to testify.

If she pleads guilty or is convicted, it will be up to the judge's discretion to sentence her to an fine, not to exceed the guidelines listed in the statute. Everything about the case is in the public record. You can call the court a few days after veteran's day and give them the case number to find out if she pled guilty, or for what date the trial is scheduled . If the clerk won't give you that information over the phone, you can go in person to the courthouse and they will have a database where you can look it up yourself.

You can either attend the trial yourself, or again call in and ask for the results.

FarmerJ

The nice thing with fines when its set up to be not more than X amount & same with Jail time is that if the person for example gets really snotty with a judge or Judge sees through what they are told in court the risk of the maximum being applied goes way up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">