• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Flooding Problem

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ladymouse

Arizona.

I have a 2 1/2 acre property in the country. I've lived here almost eight years. The house behind me was put in four years ago.

When they put it in, I warned the flood control officer, the mobile home dealer (it's a mobile home), and the homeowners that they needed to be careful how they graded the lot or I would have flooding problems.

Well ... they graded the lot in such a way that I now have flooding through my back yard and under my own house whenever we get a rain. I never had a problem until that house was there. The house is blocking the flow of water into a wash, so now it flows into my yard and under my house when it rains.

The people who bought the lot lived there six months or so, and then moved out (and left no forwarding address) and then were foreclosed on three months ago. I was never able to get them to fix the flooding problem.

The flood control officer who okay'd the work insists I've always had a flooding problem. (He won't admit to his mistakes in allowing the house to be put where it is.) I have no way of proving I haven't.

The house is now owned by the bank.

How in the world do I get this fixed?

(Note: Fixing it would take half an hour and a couple of passes with a grader to recontour the land so the water flows into the wash. This won't be difficult and I'm willing to pay for it.)

I've actually looked into buying the lot, but the bank wants WAY more than that parcel is worth. Lot value is around $15-20K; the house has been extensively vandalized and would probably cost more to repair than it would cost to buy a new mobile home. They have it listed for $120K and according to the real estate agent won't negotiate with me.

HomeGuru

Arizona.

I have a 2 1/2 acre property in the country. I've lived here almost eight years. The house behind me was put in four years ago.

When they put it in, I warned the flood control officer, the mobile home dealer (it's a mobile home), and the homeowners that they needed to be careful how they graded the lot or I would have flooding problems.

Well ... they graded the lot in such a way that I now have flooding through my back yard and under my own house whenever we get a rain. I never had a problem until that house was there. The house is blocking the flow of water into a wash, so now it flows into my yard and under my house when it rains.

The people who bought the lot lived there six months or so, and then moved out (and left no forwarding address) and then were foreclosed on three months ago. I was never able to get them to fix the flooding problem.

The flood control officer who okay'd the work insists I've always had a flooding problem. (He won't admit to his mistakes in allowing the house to be put where it is.) I have no way of proving I haven't.

The house is now owned by the bank.

How in the world do I get this fixed?

(Note: Fixing it would take half an hour and a couple of passes with a grader to recontour the land so the water flows into the wash. This won't be difficult and I'm willing to pay for it.)

I've actually looked into buying the lot, but the bank wants WAY more than that parcel is worth. Lot value is around $15-20K; the house has been extensively vandalized and would probably cost more to repair than it would cost to buy a new mobile home. They have it listed for $120K and according to the real estate agent won't negotiate with me.
**A: file a lawsuit againt the owner bank. Once that happens, the Realtor has to disclose the civil suit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">