• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Florida neighbor Claiming Verbal Agreeement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mile07

Is verbal agreement has any legality if one party doesn't know that there would be an exchange for the item being given away?
I live in Florida and I'm having an absurd experience with this kind of matter.
Actually others would find this really funny.
I have a neighbor who keeps on leaving sticky notes at my door. He states on his note that we have a verbal agreement and it is a legal binding contract here in Florida. He would call his attorney if i don't fulfill my end of his so called agreement. Also he said that his witness is my mother-in-law because according to him we agreed upon it in front of her.
So here is what really happened before. He gave me his car mat somewhere around February 2013, but i told him that i don't need it, he said he is just giving it to me. So I ask him if he really doesn't need it anymore because he is giving it to me. I accepted it and I thank him. I couldn't recall that we agreed on giving him 3 pies for that car mat of him. If i knew I won't accept his mat because me and my wife just give pies and cooked foods to my neighbors whenever we feel giving, which is most of the time. In fact I gave him that pie before he gave me his mat.
Oh boy well i don't know if I would find it flattering that my wife's pie is something to sought after for or get irritated by this nonsense. Well he just made himself scratched out from the recipient lists the next time we give out some goodies.

sandyclaus

Is verbal agreement has any legality if one party doesn't know that there would be an exchange for the item being given away?
I live in Florida and I'm having an absurd experience with this kind of matter.
Actually others would find this really funny.
I have a neighbor who keeps on leaving sticky notes at my door. He states on his note that we have a verbal agreement and it is a legal binding contract here in Florida. He would call his attorney if i don't fulfill my end of his so called agreement. Also he said that his witness is my mother-in-law because according to him we agreed upon it in front of her.
So here is what really happened before. He gave me his car mat somewhere around February 2013, but i told him that i don't need it, he said he is just giving it to me. So I ask him if he really doesn't need it anymore because he is giving it to me. I accepted it and I thank him. I couldn't recall that we agreed on giving him 3 pies for that car mat of him. If i knew I won't accept his mat because me and my wife just give pies and cooked foods to my neighbors whenever we feel giving, which is most of the time. In fact I gave him that pie before he gave me his mat.
Oh boy well i don't know if I would find it flattering that my wife's pie is something to sought after for or get irritated by this nonsense. Well he just made himself scratched out from the recipient lists the next time we give out some goodies.
You're absolutely right. What you're talking about is pretty absurd.

I seriously doubt there's going to be a lawsuit over such a silly issue. Heck - it would cost more to hire the attorney than those 3 pies are worth.

Why not just give him the 3 pies and be done with it? Or give him back the mat and tell him (in writing) that you don't want it if it's going to cost you something.

mile07

Giving away what me and my wife have is not a big deal with us in fact we love doing it to have harmonious relationship with our neighbors. But leaving notes that are half truth and very demanding is not right, we feel harassed.
I actually was thinking of giving what he wants and be done with it,like what you've said. But I think If I do that next thing we know he might accuse me of food poisoning. Oh I heard a lot of his stories before that he is sueing hospitals and doctors for medical malpractice.
Im considering your suggestion of returning it with accompanied note.

FarmerJ

It almost sounds like homework (since school started in many places) Id say try the homework help room side of Frostwires community chat service.

bdancer

You could also just return the sticky not to his door with a notation that you already gave him the pies. Your sticky note would be just as legally binding as his sticky note ...

Antigone*

You could also just return the sticky not to his door with a notation that you already gave him the pies. Your sticky note would be just as legally binding as his sticky note ...
He could even draw a pie on his return stickie note:D

sandyclaus

Giving away what me and my wife have is not a big deal with us in fact we love doing it to have harmonious relationship with our neighbors. But leaving notes that are half truth and very demanding is not right, we feel harassed.
I actually was thinking of giving what he wants and be done with it,like what you've said. But I think If I do that next thing we know he might accuse me of food poisoning. Oh I heard a lot of his stories before that he is sueing hospitals and doctors for medical malpractice.
Im considering your suggestion of returning it with accompanied note.
If you decide to go ahead and give them the pies, make then sign a liability release, stating that they accept and will consume the pies at their own risk, and that you assume no liability for any kind of food poisoning issues. LOL. :p

mile07

Sounds like sticky note wars, Lol. But yeah that also might be a good option like in the first place he just made up that he would received pies in return.

mile07

If you decide to go ahead and give them the pies, make then sign a liability release, stating that they accept and will consume the pies at their own risk, and that you assume no liability for any kind of food poisoning issues. LOL. :p
Well if he agrees and release me from that liability that he is claiming and he would agree in writing via his sticky notes that I won't be liable for any food poisoning or any medical issues that might arise after consuming the three pies. I would make it sure that those 3 pies would be really unforgettable,

Last edited by a moderator:

mile07

If some ones gonna do a Anita Bryant Pie special delivery please tell me where the pic is posted
Don't worry sir if that would happen you could see his picture or maybe even a video here on my thread, yeah with some slow motion to see the flight of the pie from my hands to his face. :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">