• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forced Membership into Home Owners Association

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pboregon

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

My wife and I purchased a single family home in Oregon 7 mos ago. At the time we purchased it, there was no HOA but there were CC&Rs. We were fine with the CC&Rs and we were happy there was no onerous, restrictive and expensive HOA. This was a selling point for us. However, there has recently been a movement among the homeowners to "adopt" another neighborhoods CC&Rs, which does have a mandatory membership in an HOA.

The proponents of this movement claim that, according to the existing CC&Rs, if 75% of the homeowners in our neighborhood agree to adopt the new CC&Rs, ALL homeowners would be forced to join. The current CC&Rs do state that to "change" the existing CC&Rs requires a 75% approval of the homeowners.

Is it legal to force me to join an HOA under the 75% approval provision? Can I be forced to give up my independent homeowner rights to a board of director and suddenly be forced to pay an HOA membership fee? If so, is there any recourse?

Thank You!
pboregon

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

My wife and I purchased a single family home in Oregon 7 mos ago. At the time we purchased it, there was no HOA but there were CC&Rs. We were fine with the CC&Rs and we were happy there was no onerous, restrictive and expensive HOA. This was a selling point for us. However, there has recently been a movement among the homeowners to "adopt" another neighborhoods CC&Rs, which does have a mandatory membership in an HOA.

The proponents of this movement claim that, according to the existing CC&Rs, if 75% of the homeowners in our neighborhood agree to adopt the new CC&Rs, ALL homeowners would be forced to join. The current CC&Rs do state that to "change" the existing CC&Rs requires a 75% approval of the homeowners.

Is it legal to force me to join an HOA under the 75% approval provision? Can I be forced to give up my independent homeowner rights to a board of director and suddenly be forced to pay an HOA membership fee? If so, is there any recourse?

Thank You!
pboregon

**A: I got news for you. You aready agreed to follow the CC&R's by virtue of your purchase of the property.

pboregon

Follow up

Wow, thanks for the quick reply! But I have a follow up...By agreeing to follow the CC&Rs, I suspect that means I would be obligated to adopt new CC&Rs if 75% of the homeowners approve it. Since this would come with a mandatory HOA provision then do I legally have to join? If so, I'm not sure that is good news...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">