• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Garage Conversion and Other Problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

graceous

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I am at the end of my rope with the City Planning Dept. who is supposed to address my concerns but has not. There are multiple issues.

First is the renovating of what was already a non permitted garage conversion next door. When the house was last sold, the conversion was indicated as non permitted. Recently, the homeowner added things to the garage, including a window that looks directly into one of my windows, which is most annoying. I did report this to the City Code Enforcement, but have heard nothing. I believe it was converted to a full apartment, and I even saw a small stove and refrigerator recently delivered, but the City denies this. Apparently the department is "researching" this, but it has been over a month now.

Second, is a huge RV that was parked on their lawn. After that was reported it left for about a month, but is now back. The Planning Dept told me it is not allowed, and there are ordinances about not driving RVs over sidewalks and curbs.

Is it not Code Enforcement's job to act in a manner to rectify situations that are not up to code and ask that things be changed, removed, etc? And what resource do I have, as a homeowner? I addressed the return of these problems with City last week and received no response. Would hiring legal representation be a worthwhile option to get something changed? At this point, it just seems like the City is doing nothing and is non responsive to concerns.

Sure, its easy to say just move, but this is not the right time for us to move, and it really has passed to point of trying to get cooperation from the people next door, which is why code enforcement got involved. We want to move in several years, on our own terms, and have a nice home to sell that someone would want to buy without the problems next door potentially affecting property values.

Last edited:

justalayman

If the window placement bothers you, make sure you have curtains. There is nothing unlawful about the placement.

If the light bothers you, make sure you have curtains. Unless you have some really odd ordinances there really is nothing you can do about it

Those two things are one reason I don't live in a city.

The parking situation. There is no reserved parking, right? First come first served, right?

If so then you park wherever you want.

Another reason i won't live in a city.

Keep on them about the possibility of the garage conversion and any other code violations. Do you go to council meetings and bring up the house with the code violAtions?

FarmerJ

if you feel your city inspections department is not handling things well then go to another part of the chain, go to your mayor and voice your concerns !

graceous

Some Progress

I was successful in get the City to tell the homeowners to stop using the backyard lights. It was some kind of encroachment ordinance. Do not think there is anything I can do about the RV on the lawn, as they are using concrete to support it which is part of an ordinance. The other issues are still under consideration and being researched, as far as other code violations.

Not sure what going City Council meetings would accomplish. They delegate such little time to individual issues vs. their bigger agenda. I did, however, send an email and photo to the lawn mess to the City Manager, and that got some action from Code Violation.

Last edited:

graceous

Update

if you feel your city inspections department is not handling things well then go to another part of the chain, go to your mayor and voice your concerns !
Just an update. After three months had passed, with no action, I thought about this post. I contacted the Mayor (twice), a City Council Member, and the City Manager by email on the city site.. Among all of these, I did get a response from a manager in Code Compliance who outlined the process and actions taken and actions that will be taken by homeowner does not comply. So, yes, persistence and some patience does work. I will update when there is more progress in this permit violation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">