• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Garage repair responsibility problem ...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bibbo2004

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New Jersey

I have a very serious problem with a garage that's in my backyard and is crumbling. My three car garages all share the same back wall as my neighbor on my left and 2 of my neighbors on my right. This "poured concrete" backwall actually supports my 3 garages, 1 on my neighbors on the left, and 4 on the two neighbors on my right including a shed in between. My problem is that the footing on this back wall is crumbling from the bottom and dirt and concrete is slowly pouring into my garage. It's starting to affect my neighbors garage on the right. I had a couple of contractors look at it and they both said the only way to fix it is to completely demolish the entire structure because the backwall is just poured concrete and rebar. My neighbor doesn't want us to do anything because they are selling their house and they can't afford to do anything.

My question is, am I legally responsible for the entire length of back wall because it's just mine that is crumbling ... and am I responsible financially if they have to demolish the entire 8 garages plus the shed and rebuild?

Any help or responses in this matter will be greatly appreciated! Thank You!

HomeGuru

bibbo2004 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New Jersey

I have a very serious problem with a garage that's in my backyard and is crumbling. My three car garages all share the same back wall as my neighbor on my left and 2 of my neighbors on my right. This "poured concrete" backwall actually supports my 3 garages, 1 on my neighbors on the left, and 4 on the two neighbors on my right including a shed in between. My problem is that the footing on this back wall is crumbling from the bottom and dirt and concrete is slowly pouring into my garage. It's starting to affect my neighbors garage on the right. I had a couple of contractors look at it and they both said the only way to fix it is to completely demolish the entire structure because the backwall is just poured concrete and rebar. My neighbor doesn't want us to do anything because they are selling their house and they can't afford to do anything.

My question is, am I legally responsible for the entire length of back wall because it's just mine that is crumbling ... and am I responsible financially if they have to demolish the entire 8 garages plus the shed and rebuild?

Any help or responses in this matter will be greatly appreciated! Thank You!
**A: this is a tough situation and more than likely will be settled via mediation, arbitration or litigation.

nextwife

HG, every time I read your "-ations" lists, I can't help but picture Groucho Marx scuttling about, with a cigar in hand, saying "....mediation, arbitration or litigation" :p

nextwife

Hey, buddy, who ya calling old? Just because I can remember where I was when Kennedy was shot?

I wasted many a college evening watching Marx Brothers flicks with my friends. They probably seemed funnier at the time, if you get my drift.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">