• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gas meter labeled incorrectly

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dz-015

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I wasn't sure where to post this, so apologies if this is the wrong place...

My family and I had been living in a condominium for the past 10 years. We moved out in July to a new house, but left the gas service on in the condo while we try to sell it.

During the summer months, we noticed that the gas bill was steady month after month, perhaps a little on the high side. We didn't think much of it. Then last month, our bill skyrocketed, even though the place is vacant and the thermostat was set on low (to prevent water from freezing), and the hot water heater was set to vacation mode.

We called our gas company to have our meter checked. When the technician came out, he said that apparently, the original plumber mislabeled our gas meter with another unit's number, and vice versa! We have been paying our neighbor's bill for the past 10 years!

It turns out that our neighbor is in a larger square footage condo, with two floors, while ours is a one-floor ranch.

Again, we didn't notice because ours and our neighbor's relative gas usage has been roughly the same over the years. We just thought it was a bit on the high end. We only noticed when we moved out and reduced our consumption.

We will be calling the gas company for a resolution once the technician's notes are in the system. Is there anything I should know about before I call? Has anyone had a similar experience?

Thanks in advance!

justalayman

Since there are recordings every month of usage, it should be easy to determine your damages. The problem is; how far back can you expect to be compensated for. If the gas company wants to be nice, then should correct any provable incorrect billing. The fact of the matter is; they are likely not required to compensate you for more than a few years worth of corrections.

You might contact the states public service commission and speak with them about this. There may be some rules there that specify a period not typical in the states laws. Obviously you are just trying to get the mistake corrected. It generally doesn't help when people get irrational and threatening which, from the tenor of your post, doesn't seem like it would be a concern.;)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Since there are recordings every month of usage, it should be easy to determine your damages. The problem is; how far back can you expect to be compensated for. If the gas company wants to be nice, then should correct any provable incorrect billing. The fact of the matter is; they are likely not required to compensate you for more than a few years worth of corrections.

You might contact the states public service commission and speak with them about this. There may be some rules there that specify a period not typical in the states laws. Obviously you are just trying to get the mistake corrected. It generally doesn't help when people get irrational and threatening which, from the tenor of your post, doesn't seem like it would be a concern.;)
I'm not seeing how this is the gas co's problem. The fault lies with the original plumber.

justalayman

I'm not seeing how this is the gas co's problem. The fault lies with the original plumber.
Gas meters are usually owned by the gas company and installed by the gas company so any identifiers and associations with any particular condo would be recorded by the gas company. While they may have been told which line runs to which condo, it is their failure for not verifying that fact.

154NH773

It would also seem that the Gas company has been unjustly enriched by collecting money from you, and not providing the service you have paid for. There is probably a statute of limitations on how far back you can go with a claim.

Gas company response: Sorry :( They plunk a pipe down & the gas comes out and they charge us high prices ..

Last edited:

FlyingRon

It would also seem that the Gas company has been unjustly enriched by collecting money from you, and not providing the service you have paid for. There is probably a statute of limitations on how far back you can go with a claim.
The gas company isn't unjustly enriched. While there was an error, they ended up with no more money than if the meters were labeled correctly.

If the gas company isn't willing to straighten it out, try calling up whatever PUC regulates them. You aren't getting ten years worth of refund, but up to three might be reasonable.

154NH773

Originally posted by FlyingRon:
The gas company isn't unjustly enriched. While there was an error, they ended up with no more money than if the meters were labeled correctly.
While it is true that in total the utility received the same amount of money, the amount received from the OP is in excess of what he should have paid, due the mistaken billing by the utility. The utility was unjustly enriched by the OP.
Unjust Enrichment: a benefit by mistake or chance. Morally and ethically the one who gains a benefit that he or she has not paid or worked for should not keep it to the rightful owner's detriment. The party that received money, services or property that should have been delivered to or belonged to another must make restitution to the rightful owner. A court may order such restitution in a lawsuit brought by the party who should rightly have the money or property
The other party's gain is not relevant to the OP's claim; that is between the utility and the person who was charged less.

Last edited:

dz-015

Thank you for everyone's replies! I should mention that 10 years ago, this was a brand new development so our meter started at zero.

I called the Ohio PUC (thanks justalayman and FylingRon for the tip), and she said I should expect compensation from the gas company when I call them, at least as far back for which they have records. She mentioned that they may not have records going as far back as 10 years. If not resolved, she said I can call the PUC back so they can investigate on my behalf.

I then called the gas company, who basically said it's been sent to billing - they'll call me back by next week (Hmmm, I thought, don't call us, we'll call you). The rep that I talked to could only go back 3 years on her system, but did not know how far back their stored records go.

So I guess it's wait for now... I'll definitely call back if I don't hear from them.

Thanks again!

154NH773

The statute of limitations in Ohio could be anywhere from 4-10 years depending on which section this type of action falls under (check with a local lawyer). If they only have records going back three years, you can estimate the additional years overpayments based on the records provided, and ask them to make good for the maximum years allowed under the law.

FarmerJ

No one asked so I am curious, have you kept your statements ALL 120 ? of them for the last ten years ? BTW if you back up the phone call with a certified letter to the gas co attention customer service unit you will have a paper trail proving you have complained. If you have those statements use them (someone in gas co will crap drawers if you have them ) If you get wind from anyone else in your complex that the other nieghbor has complained to them about having to pay back the last ten yrs then go for it and push even harder. ( can any one in your area even if its another gas co help you try to determine how many times the meter could have turned over to zero in the last ten years ?)

TinkerBelleLuvr

Someone talked about the GAS company being unjustly enriched. That is not accurate. It was the other unit owner(s)' who were unjustly enriched since they did not pay for THEIR usage.

Kiawah

Since this was originally a new development, and both meters started out as zero, then you would know exactly how many extra cubic feet of gas you were charged for over the period (since you are the original owner).

Go outside, and write down the numbers now.

Problem is, you don't know which year(s) that overage charges happened in, and at what billing rate was in effect at the time. I'm sure somebody (PUC?) has kept a record of the billing rates, and with a spreadsheet you can get pretty darn close.

If you write down the numbers now, and estimate back, you should be able to quickly get a "rough order of magnitude" as to whether this is 100 dollars or 5K dollars.
(Your billing volume) - (their billing volume) = overage volume charged to you by mistake
(Overage volume charged) x (current billing rate $$ per unit volume) = "high$$" rough order of magnitude
If you assume rates have gone up some percent per year, then back down the ROM by some reasonable amount, which would allow for the fact that the rates have gone up over time and all of the overcharged volume was not charged to you at the current high rate.

This will give you a ballpark estimate.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">