• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

gate and maintenance of property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cindi2

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I have lived in my present home for 23 yrs. In 1996 I asked my neighbor if I could attach a gate to their fencepost. They agreed and it has been there all this time with no problems. We recently had a dispute and they have now asked me to remove my gate. Do I have to?

I have also been maintaining for 23 yrs. about a foot of their property which is on my side of their fence. There had been no problems with this. Do I have any claim to this foot of property since I have kept it up all these years?

Thanks

FarmerJ

If a simple act of putting in your own post to handle the gate keeps the trouble down , DO it , If you take the time and read some of the others postings here you can see that the problems with neighbors could be way worse. Doing so might even be able to allow the 2 of you to have a peaceful co existance that never again has any troubles even if not on talking terms.

divgradcurl

I have also been maintaining for 23 yrs. about a foot of their property which is on my side of their fence. There had been no problems with this. Do I have any claim to this foot of property since I have kept it up all these years?
Did you have permission to maintain this property? Did your neighbor ever try to come onto this property, maybe to maintain the fence, for example, and you told him to get out?

cindi2

In 23 years the neighbors have made no attempt to clean up on my side of the fence. So no, I did not refuse them access. They don't even keep their side clean, that's where all the weeds and such are coming from. As a matter of fact, none of my neighbors attempt to clean up from my side of the fences.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">