• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

gate on road

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hendo2010

My neighbor put in 20' double swing gate on his property line entrance, they swing open on my property up against my fence, do I have any say so having their fence on my property when it is open? if this guy wasnt such a prick I would let it go ,what goes around comes around.:)

FarmerJ

Where is your fence in relationship to your lot line ? and where is the neighbors gate post in relation to the lot line ? Last ? you each have your own access to a twp /city/county/state road ?

Last edited:

hendo2010

there house is at the end of the road they have an easment over my property, so the the gate he put in is the entrance to his property the gates swings open onto the road setting up againts my fence basicly on my property when they are open

FarmerJ

Is this gate mounted to post that are on your property or his ? If it is actually on your property even if in the easement area then does the easements wording give him the right to install a gate or do anything else to the easement maintanence wise ?

hendo2010

the post are on the property line, the easment across my property is pretty basic 20' wide for ingress and egress, the maintence agreement says we are to split the cost of the road upkeep wich they say they cant afford ,wow they must have spent it on a fancy gate:D,

FarmerJ

If they cannot afford reasonable maint of the road and you do it anyway , your only option would be to send them a bill via certified mail and if they refuse to pay it then take them to court each and every time you have to spend money to maintain it. Either they will pay up or you will get judgements wich will mess up there credit and with renewal of judgements you could end up getting the money some day in the future If they were to sell the house. But then even if they filed a BK and listed you on a old amount Ill bet that as new instances of maint came up that you could sue again for the new instance and win since they are responsible for all new debt incurred. Either which way im sure that would seal the deal and they will choose to like you less :)~~~ ( A atty who specializes in BK can tell you for sure about NEW debt that happens after the courts grant BK status)

hendo2010

the money doesnt bother me its the princable, So back to the gate do they have the right to have there gates swung open on my side? just picture a nice white split rail fence "mine" with a giant black wrought iron gate against it, :eek:

FarmerJ

Honestly I too think the direction of the gate should be so it swings into there own property , WHY dont you check the links above to find a real estate atty to do a letter for you telling them that the direction the gate currently swings is going to cause your fence to be damaged and they should change the direction of the gate swing so it swings into there own property or your only recourse would be to sue them for damaging your property , This of course comming from a atty they will either comply and like you less :) OR they will not comply and like you a lot less when you sue them for the damage done and the share of maint cost to the road they wouldnt pay :)~~~ Either way since it appears you dont care if they like you or not go for it , pay a atty to do a letter for you and wish you were a mouse in the corner getting to see and hear lots of bad behaviour & verbal agression when they get the mail opened!

HuAi

go get a metal pipe from home depot for $10 pound it in on the property line so the gate can't swing past.

hendo2010

trenching on my property

now this guy is adding a electric gate with the keypad for the gate on my property " the road", does he have the right do put this on my property? he has an easment for ingress and egress there is no verbage about anything else,

FarmerJ

If this easement doesnt give them any right to add anything to your property in the form of permanent improvement, again your only option is to use the links above and at least consult with a atty about your options including forcing them to remove the post and any wiring installed. If you fail to look into it the legal hassles likely will just get worse, CAN you imagine what it will be like after they install more crap then sell the house telling a new buyer every thing is just fine ? and getting a new buyer that is worse ?

hendo2010

I am on it

Thanks for the help, Got an app monday with a local lawyer that I used awhile back on another issue with these poeple, Once again thanks for the advise

hendo2010

the fued is on

Well the trenching happened cops were called and now I have a nice FU letter from these wonderful people stating that they own the esament and I have 30 days to remove my fence off my property What The F is wrong with people, the lawyer I hired is going to have fun with this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">