• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

It is getting really old!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

married-in

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

Two brothers buy land adjacent to each other. They decide with the township's permission to build and use one driveway to share. (It Y's off and from the Y's to the homes they maintain their own the straight away has shared maintenance.) They both have to install waterwells and septic tank, etc. Which they do independently. Then they build their homes and maintain yards... Marry, have children, spar, threaten, etc....

#1 The driveway is primarily on my Brother-in-laws land (eventually on ours), however, both paid for it, both maintain it, our children's time and sweat go into raking every spring (and when ever else it is needed.) to get the rocks back in the driveway and out of their yard. -no monetary compensation- only that it is "ours." (by the way their kids don't do this.)

#2 Our waterwell is well on my brother-in-law's "property" as well as much landscaping and such (at the time I did it, I did not know, no one said anything. To see the layout of the land no one would have guessed it because of the wood line and driveway.) All paid by my husband and/or me (I.)

Here's the issue. When there are "problems" my brother-in-law threatens to cut off our use of the driveway and cut off our well. Remove all my work on the landscaping and such. Because it is all "HIS." (-it is sad, my husband should have bought all 36 acres himself, instead of inviting his brother to purchase half to get out of the city....the land was origninally their grandfather's and down from their parent's home, so he wanted to share.)

What are everyone's rights in this situation? The well and driveway have been in at least 7/8 years. The lanscaping has been about 5 years. The propane tank and buried lines have been in just as long, also.

All the threats are really old, this time. though, he says he's having a surveyer out and "shutting us down." You would cringe if you knew the cause of this one!!!!

:mad: :confused: :( :mad: :confused: :( :mad: :confused: :( :mad:
NEVER Share in the purchase and division of land with family!!!

John Se

share and share alike

I am assuming there are no written easements or well sharing arrangements made? I hope at least that each parcel of land is owned seperately. worse come to worse you need to each have your own services set up.

Ask you family what would there father want them to do? Perhaps just try and get along!

married-in

There are seperate utlilities, wells, septics etc. The only thing physiclly shared is the driveway.

All was well and good for my husband to have the well dug on my brother-in-laws property when they first started building. Then for the last 8 years he (my husband) has been reminded that the well is on B-I-L property. And he can shut it off when ever he wants.

There was no documentation for the driveway. It was the last shared driveway ever approved for our township. This was all based on "it's family." Like I said before, both paid for it, both pay for the stone every few years to "fill it in."

In the last two days B-I-L has tied his orange tape to trees and put stakes in "our yard" to let us know where we may not cross. No surveyor has been here.

Why can't they get along? We have 4 children (and one more coming in three months.) they have 2. If my children so much as touch a rock, let alone anything else that is theirs, (Actual regular occurance!!) in the driveway, field, or woods their oldest cries to his parents (that so and so is taking his rocks!!) and they (the adults) take it upon themselves to come to my home and YELL at my children for making theirs cry. The most recent, my B-I-L came over with his oldest son, telling my boys that there are enough rocks...... and he has the power to tell them to stay the Hell Away from them all, etc, etc.... This is the kind of crap that my kids go through with them. I know it is PATHETIC. We do feel our children are as important to this world as theirs and to want to pick up a rock is okay.

We NEVER yell at their kids for anything. All toys and such are shared over here always. They come over when they want and play with whatever they want. That is okay.

My husband confronted them for this continuous treatment of stinginess and rudeness to our kids. It got ugly and the rest is where we are now.

Their Father??? He has favorites and because my husband confronted them, he will not speak to my husband. He finds it rather easy to turn his back on my husband - who worships the ground he walks on!!

As a bystander, this is SAD. My husband thought that he was doing a favor to share all this land with his brother and it has turned into it all being about my husband "owing" his brother.

I just want to know that I will not wake up one day and have no water or be able to drive down my driveway with out trespassing.

Thanks for any help!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">