• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

getting rid of neighbor with dangerous child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

inquisitive123

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

My question is what can my HOA do about the tenants next door? Do the rules of our HOA have any legal teeth?

The background is that we have a neighbor with whom we've had issues over the various years. Recently, those issues have to do with the behavior of their child, who is currently 6. We have two events documented though our security camera over the last couple of months: 1) their child getting in their illegally parked van and it rolling down our street 2) their child throwing another child against our car and punching him. The 6 year old also threatened to get a knife, but our security system does not have audio since that is illegal.

The police was contacted about both of these events and have noted the events but cannot do anything because of the age of the child. We've also contacted CPS, who won't do anything either, and HOC because they are renters and we believe they might be receiving housing support. HOC says they are going to look into it, but I don't have much hope. We've also contacted our HOA and I want to see if they have any recourse if HOC does nothing.

The rules of our HOA state that "All leases shall be on forms approved by the Association and shall provide that the Association shall have the right to terminate the lease upon default by the tenant in observing any of the provisions of this Declaration . . ." The tenants have multiple violations but there is no lease filed with our HOA. I doubt that the lease has this provision. Is there anything the HOA can do? Can the landlord be held responsible for not getting approval and can the lease be terminated by our HOA? Thanks for your advice.

OK-LL

As far as I can determine, MD has not adopted statutes which place HOAs in loco landlord, so the HOA has no direct authority over the tenant. Instead, they have a relationship with the owner of the property and can issue fines or edicts to try to get them to better manage their tenants.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">