• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gossiping neighbors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lilsliz

MN
I moved into my place about 7 months ago with my husband and two children 6 and 1.
A month after we moved in, two noisy college girls moved in, above us in a fourplex. we called the police on them twice for being loud at 2 in the morning, we are quiet respectful people and had no choice, but to call the police,

since then, they have been talking to our landlord/caretaker, and we are pretty sure they are talking sh*t that isnt true, they told them that we were smoking in the house (which wasnt true) they told them that we were smoking marijuana in the houe (which wasnt true) and we have had to defend ourselves to our landlord at least once a month invite her into our house and prove that we arent doing these things. we almost got evicted which im not sure is even possible based on hearsay.

they told our landlord that we leave our garage up all the time so now we have to keep it shut all the time...? they said that we run our bathroom fan too much so we cant run that whenever we want, just petty stuff all the time i dont understand, now my landlord wanted to come over tonight, come in my house and talk. i said it should be ok, and then got on the phone with my mother and she said whatever your landlord has to say, she needs to say it in writting,

so i called her back got her voicemail and asked if she please put whatever she had to say in writting and it makes me uncomfortable when she wants to come over, there is no reason for her to come in my house at 630 at night when i am trying to spend time with my family, so i left it at that and didnt hear from her, but sure enough she showed up anyways, rang my doorbell several times and then proceeded to leave, on her way out the neighbor girls upstairs waved her back in and she went up there for a nice friendly 45 minute chat about us, no doubt, the came and knocked on our door again,

i didnt let her in becasue legally i dont have to and she didnt provide any written notice. so now she was up there gossiping about us more , i know she was bacause i have heard her say things about them to me before....so now i m thinking, they are just trying to get me out, and she wanted to come in and talk me out of my lease. i want to know if she can use anything that they may have said to legally evict me,

i dont want to move out, but they are all just trying to make me want to leave. i signed a year lease and i am on federal housing assistance and do not want to be evicted, i also have been late on my rent but they have already collected 500$ of my 650$ rent for the month of april i owe them and told them i was paying the rest on the 25th, can they start eviction process if they have already accepted partial payment???

Looking for answers
i live in Hell
Thank you

FarmerJ

as far as your bath fan goes , use it as it was inteded , if the neighbor doesnt like it the neighbor can make a noise complaint to building inspections. The garage door , If you feel like leaving it up DO it , as long as its yours to use according to the lease. YOu dont want to move, make sure you pay your contracted portion of the rent every month. LAST If your neighbors are gossiping do you really give a damn? I wouldnt , let them talk. You have a lease in place so use the unit as the lease allows and If your LL isnt happy at the end of the lease they wont renew. BUT pay no attention to your nieghbors , they will learn in time that you dont care about the gossiping.

HuAi

But pay your rent on the first of each month...you are still evictable this month for nonpayment of rent

lilsliz

even if i have already paid almost all of it and they know they are getting the rest, don't i have so much time? i mean they havent given me any warnings...so i guesss i should be ok right? thanks for the advice!!!
:p

HuAi

even if i have already paid almost all of it and they know they are getting the rest, don't i have so much time? i mean they havent given me any warnings...so i guesss i should be ok right? thanks for the advice!!!
:p
Rent is due in full on the first of the month, and the landlord doesnt "know" when he'll get the rest. Tenants' story changes all the time. You are correct that the landlord would have to serve you with a pay or quit notice before eviction (usually 5 days, but varies by state) but it's not a warning by any means; its the first step in the formal eviction process. You dont want to get that far.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">