• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandfather Clause

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sun81

What is the name of your state? Texas
I would really appreciate some info concerning "Grandfather" clause. In Texas, is an existing building or structure safe from current surveys? I have a current survey that indicates my original garage is a foot over onto my neighbors property, and the neighbor on the opposite has a storage building onto my property by four feet. These buildings are old, and my neighbor on my garage side has already put up a privacy fence, but seems to think the foot of my garage is his property too. Who has rights? And, can I just build around that four feet of building, without causing neighbors access problems and be okay by law?
Thanks for any info.

HomeGuru

sun81 said:
What is the name of your state? Texas
I would really appreciate some info concerning "Grandfather" clause. In Texas, is an existing building or structure safe from current surveys? I have a current survey that indicates my original garage is a foot over onto my neighbors property, and the neighbor on the opposite has a storage building onto my property by four feet. These buildings are old, and my neighbor on my garage side has already put up a privacy fence, but seems to think the foot of my garage is his property too. Who has rights? And, can I just build around that four feet of building, without causing neighbors access problems and be okay by law?
Thanks for any info.

**A: contact your local building and zoning departments. In general, there is no grandfathering. This issue is resolved on a case by case basis and among the affected landowners. The landowner has all rights to his/her land and such rights may be encumbered by a prior agreement such as an encroachment or easement agreement etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">