• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandfathered fence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bernadine

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

My family owned this property for 48 years. Our property was built after the property next door, and the builder put a fence up matching our deck fence. This fence got termites so my father and the grandfather next door put up a new fence.

Twenty-two or twenty-three years ago my brother just mentioned to the new neighbor that we wanted to put a solid fence up in the back to keep my mother's dog in. We did this only because that is how the old neighbors and my family dealt with each other. The new neighbor said it was fine with him.

This neighbor now after 23 years states that the fence is on his property. It may be an inch in spots, because the wood fence is getting old but that is all.

He keeps on putting objects on my fence (I think he is trying to break it, so I called the cops). I knocked the metal ladder off my fence, because it is really windy here and the latter kept on hitting the fence. He kept on banging the ladder onto my fence, and he hit my hand which is all scratched. The cops told him he has to get a survey (which I know he has because he just put an extension on his house) and when he bought the place 23 years ago he had a mortgage. This man is a real thug, he thinks the law does not pertain to him in anyway. He told the cop that he does not have a survey, which is another total lie. The cop told him that even if it is somewhat on his property, he thinks it is grandfathered in. I think the cop is correct.

Please tell me what the law is.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">