• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harassing Neighbor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

guzmanmdla

My neighbor has been complaining about our dogs barking too much. We live out of the city or the counties and our properties are situated in 2.5 acres of land. Consequently, our houses have a good distance in between and believe is just to bother my family. He has also complained about the amount of cars parked in my house. They do not run but my father likes to buy cars he can't fix. We have been living in our house for almost 5 years and we have tried to be good neighbors and fix all the authorities have asked for. Now, he has called the dog pound because our dogs do not let him sleep. Personally, I think is absurd and unfair that we have to buy a device for my dogs not to bark, and I am also tired of him being so calculative and I want an end to my problem. What can I do? Please help, Arizona

OHRoadwarrior

Move...

Everyone wants their own piece of harmony. I am disabled, having dogs bark near me can be excruciatingly painful. I own the largest lot on my street for that reason. I have also been known to get out of my car at red lights and ask kids to turn their stereo down because of the pain it can cause me. I would be upset if someone devalued the looks and value of my property by crapping it up.

TigerD

Dogs bark, roosters crow -- those are just a few of the benefits of living in a rural area.

Ignore him.

DC

davew128

Move...

Everyone wants their own piece of harmony. I am disabled, having dogs bark near me can be excruciatingly painful. I own the largest lot on my street for that reason. I have also been known to get out of my car at red lights and ask kids to turn their stereo down because of the pain it can cause me. I would be upset if someone devalued the looks and value of my property by crapping it up.
:rolleyes: I have been known to turn my stereo up when some loser gets out of their car to complain about the stereo.

Alex23

Dogs bark, roosters crow -- those are just a few of the benefits of living in a rural area.

Ignore him.

DC
There may or may not be laws regarding these potential nuisances. Your city or county code will specify whether barking is considered a nuisance, and or whether one is living in an area that is properly zoned for agriculture.

If there is no code specifying dogs barking the police likely won't ticket you, but that doesn't stop your neighbor for suing you for harboring a statutory nuisance on your property that is preventing him from peaceful enjoyment of his home.

However, your neighbor asking you to keep your dogs quiet doesn't really constitute harassment.

154NH773

I'll have to disagree with those that say ignore him. As a former dog owner, I think it is very inconsiderate of people to allow their dogs to constantly bark. It is annoying, and a disturbance to peace and quiet that many people move to the country for.
Many people are of a mind that you should be allowed to do anything you want on your own property. It's just my opinion, but widely held by courts and others, that you should not harm others by your actions.
There is a BIG difference in a dog giving a warning bark, and a constantly barking dog. Why not try and accomodate your neighbor?

divona2000

...we have tried to be good neighbors and fix all the authorities have asked for. Now, he has called the dog pound because our dogs do not let him sleep. Personally, I think is absurd and unfair that we have to buy a device for my dogs not to bark...
Are they barking all night? It is not "absurd and unfair" that your neighbor would like to sleep, but those no-bark collars are not meant to be worn for more than 6 to 8 hours at a time. Bring the dogs inside, better yet, invest in obedience training.

Kiawah

better yet, invest in obedience training.
The guy has junked vehicles in his yard, and dog's tied out. Don't think he's going to be caring about obedience training.

Think the first free baby step would be to bring the dogs inside, so they're not out barking.

sally1

I bring in my dogs if they won't stop barking. Even though I like having the dogs out at night to keep critters away I think letting the neighbors sleep is more important.

I agree with the suggestion to bring in the dogs when they bark to much.

It is annoying to have a neighbor calling codes on you,but if you follow the law the county will eventually tire of your neighbors attempts to get you fined.

guzmanmdla

he also has loose chickens that attract coyotes and that is why my dogs bark. So we all are guilty in this matter but my dogs shouldn't pay the price for him having is chickens lose.

applecruncher

he also has loose chickens that attract coyotes and that is why my dogs bark. So we all are guilty in this matter but my dogs shouldn't pay the price for him having is chickens lose.
You don't know that his chickens are the reason your dogs bark. They could be barking at the moon. No, you are not "all guilty in this matter" - YOU are. You're the dog owners, and like many dog owners you're overly defensive and think your dogs can do no wrong.

The guy has junked vehicles in his yard, and dog's tied out. Don't think he's going to be caring about obedience training.
Ain't that the truth.

Last edited:

Hot Topic

My neighbor has been complaining about our dogs barking too much. We live out of the city or the counties and our properties are situated in 2.5 acres of land. Consequently, our houses have a good distance in between and believe is just to bother my family. He has also complained about the amount of cars parked in my house. They do not run but my father likes to buy cars he can't fix. We have been living in our house for almost 5 years and we have tried to be good neighbors and fix all the authorities have asked for. Now, he has called the dog pound because our dogs do not let him sleep. Personally, I think is absurd and unfair that we have to buy a device for my dogs not to bark, and I am also tired of him being so calculative and I want an end to my problem. What can I do? Please help, Arizona
Your father buying cars he can't fix, let alone drive, is creating a nuisance. He probably is a hoarder, and the authorities may visit him one day over the eyesore.

Animal owners often justify their animals barking because "that's what dogs do." They do when they're not trained, which can be done without the use of a shock collar or anything else that causes the animal discomfort. You resent doing it and believe the neighbor doesn't have the right to complain. You're wrong.

ENASNI

anyone want to make bank

I am betting that we get another Arizona post who states.
" I live out in the country so I can raise my chickens free range. I keep my yard immaculate except for all the chicken poop. My problem is I have a neighbor with a yard full of junkers and about 5 hounds that bark ALL THE TIME"

I am putting out 5 to 1 odds any takers...

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Thread hijack -

Well by all things holy look who's back. Where you been, girlfriend?

End thread hijack.

ENASNI

*Re-Hijack*

Hey cbg, just taking a break from all things forum for a bit. I am glad you are still helping people out!

*re-end re-hijack*

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">