• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aleamon

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

Hi. I was wondering. I have recently acquired a new neighbor (across road from my house) that has been "harassing/stalking" me. Here's my situation.

I own 2 dogs, of which I have had since we moved here in 2003 and have never had in a fence, chained up, etc. (we only have a containment/confinement ordinance in the county, they only have to stay in our yard). Well about a month or so ago the fun begins. To make a long story short, after we ended up calling the police on them for noise disturbance (someone sitting in there driveway blaring rap music that was shaking my windows) the neighbor called Animal Services a few days later. At that time we informed the officer that came out, that the neighbors kids kept calling the dogs over there. Well a few nights ago, I came home rather late with my infant daughter, and here "excuse me excuse me..i hate to bother you this late, but is there anyway you can keep your dogs off my yard (common sense told me not to answer, considering the only time my dogs are over there is when her kids called them over there) they are tearing up my stuff...which yes there was a cushion in my yard that was shredded (a little birdie informed us afterwards she had walked over and placed in our yard, or pretty much tossed at one of our more protective dogs). Of course, knowing my rights I told her no...she then threatened with Animal aServices again which really hit a nerve, I told her to go ahead and they would tell her the same thing they did last time (was the dogs were in the yard, so they couldn't do anything). well she then informed me that she had pictures! Well I shrugged it off and came in, she then went up the road, got a camera, stood in the middle of the road and took pictures of MY dogs, standing in MY driveway.
This neighbor also tends to live her young children outside with no supervision, plays her tv rather loud (I can hear it clearly when I am on my porch) and has "friends" driving by blowing horns at all hours day and night. We are not the only neighbors that are fed up with this particular neighbor.
I have unsuccessfully located any information regarding this, but I did locate this website thankfully.

My question is this: Is there anything I can do? What steps do I need to be taking? Are there any websites that cover this?

casa

aleamon said:
What is the name of your state? Tennessee

Hi. I was wondering. I have recently acquired a new neighbor (across road from my house) that has been "harassing/stalking" me. Here's my situation.

I own 2 dogs, of which I have had since we moved here in 2003 and have never had in a fence, chained up, etc. (we only have a containment/confinement ordinance in the county, they only have to stay in our yard). Well about a month or so ago the fun begins. To make a long story short, after we ended up calling the police on them for noise disturbance (someone sitting in there driveway blaring rap music that was shaking my windows) the neighbor called Animal Services a few days later. At that time we informed the officer that came out, that the neighbors kids kept calling the dogs over there. Well a few nights ago, I came home rather late with my infant daughter, and here "excuse me excuse me..i hate to bother you this late, but is there anyway you can keep your dogs off my yard (common sense told me not to answer, considering the only time my dogs are over there is when her kids called them over there) they are tearing up my stuff...which yes there was a cushion in my yard that was shredded (a little birdie informed us afterwards she had walked over and placed in our yard, or pretty much tossed at one of our more protective dogs). Of course, knowing my rights I told her no...she then threatened with Animal aServices again which really hit a nerve, I told her to go ahead and they would tell her the same thing they did last time (was the dogs were in the yard, so they couldn't do anything). well she then informed me that she had pictures! Well I shrugged it off and came in, she then went up the road, got a camera, stood in the middle of the road and took pictures of MY dogs, standing in MY driveway.
This neighbor also tends to live her young children outside with no supervision, plays her tv rather loud (I can hear it clearly when I am on my porch) and has "friends" driving by blowing horns at all hours day and night. We are not the only neighbors that are fed up with this particular neighbor.
I have unsuccessfully located any information regarding this, but I did locate this website thankfully.

My question is this: Is there anything I can do? What steps do I need to be taking? Are there any websites that cover this?
Whether it's legal to have your dogs unconfined or not- I'd make sure they were inside or on a tie-out while you are away from your home....I fear you may come home one day to a dead dog. Keep your dogs safe (forget the idiot neighbors) by not allowing them to be called across the street when you are not there to supervise or intervene.

aleamon

that has been tried..we have tried the electric invisible fence they just walked through it..and we have also tried them on a runner where they tried to hang themselves..my dogs are usually in the house when we are gone..teh only time the are mainly out are during teh day when there is someone here.

aleamon

Well the neighbors got their wish. we kept the dogs in the house unless we were outside with them or to let them go potty. my husband came home Friday to one already in a coma (which we had put to sleep) and the other is at the vets with a 50% chance of making it. They have both tested positive for antifreeze (what a sick world we live in). One was further along then the other though, the smallest one was just in the drunken state when she was found. So we are guesstimating that the neighbors feed the one something or poured it into our outside pond (which the dogs frequently drink from). The dogs were only out for 20 minutes Friday morning, and were out about the same the night before. Consequently those neighbors haven't been home since, there was a car over their last night but it wasn't the normal one. I guess the neighbors got their wish though and ripped my security away. But justice will get them in the end, and if we don't see justice. the good Lord will get the revenge.

htine30

I'm so, so sorry for your loss. If anyone hurt my dog, I wouldn't know what to do. There don't seem to be many legal options for you if no one saw them poison your dogs. I know in Washington state, there is a law called Posado's law. When animal abusers are caught, they can get put away for a long time now. Unfortunately that doesn't help you. You could call CPS if she is neglecting her kids, but that may escalate it and she might be wacko enough to try and hurt your family next. I'd give your police or county law enforcement non-emergency line a call and see what they recommend. And document, document, document everything.

aleamon

We have been in contact with everyone but the burden of proof lies on our shoulders. I mean we don't have proof except for our own opinions. I do have an update...though... my little one may be home tomorrow..what a wonderful memorial day

ms.magoo

Harrassment

Oh my God, I am so very sorry to hear your news about the one dog having to be put down. I feel from the bottom of my heart for your family. My neighbour also poisioned my dog an he was a family member, and protector to us. I know about what you're saying about the burden of proof being on your shoulders too. The only difference to our stories, is that our neighbour used agricultural rat poison that he stuffed into a bone with goose feed. Then fed my dog with the bone. It was the most horrible time of my life. I had the police up here that week-end while he was dying an then didn't make it. They told us that there's nothing they could do, as they could go up an ask that bad neighbour if he did that bad deed, an all the bad guy has to do is DENY it, an that would be all they could do to help us. I suggest that you put a fence up around your property first off, an then also set up some security video camera's. This way you can catch these VERY evil people on tape, an then have them criminally prosecuted for their actions. I am so sorry for your loss. :(

aleamon

there is also another difference. our neighbors have not been around (at their residence) since all of this has been going on. Its like they have disappeared so that they couldn't be questioned.

ms.magoo

Harrassment

Well it sounds like they're in hiding on ya. I'd go an get that video camera now, like now, an set it up. Put it on slow record too, that'll give ya hours of tape to record any happenings on what could be or is going to happen. Still wishin some good luck to come your ways. You jus take care an be carefull. ;)

aleamon

hiding out is right! She has been at home but making sure it doesn't look like she is. she came outside long enough to change lightbulbs on her front porch. UPDATE: my surviving fighter had a seizure this morning from the poison. but other than looking clinically worse, her bloodwork is showing slight improvement. still waiting on the vet to call me back tonight that was as of this morning.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">