• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

harrassed by fellow shareholder

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gberg

Hi... I posted this in the Coop forum as well, not sure the correct place for it.

I live in NYC.

My husband and I purchased our coop and have had no issues for about 4 years. Last year, a family moved in upstairs - a husband and wife, with two teenage daughters (11 and 13). The two girls share a junior 4 bedroom above my son's room (he is now 7 months old) and blast music all night long (until 2am, at the minimum, even on school nights). Whenever we speak to the parents, they always say they will talk to the girls.. and then we hear the girls yelling about how it's their apartment and they don't care about us and can do whatever they want.

We've complained to the management company several times, and they said there's nothing they can do. Each time we complain to the neighors, the music and jumping only gets louder.

In the past several weeks, things escalated. The parents are never home (we always see them on their way out with friends, and they don't come home until 3-4am). The two girls throw bottles at my husband and I from their balcony, and when we go outside on our balcony, they pour water on us. Last night at 1am (on a Monday), their music was so loud that my 7 month old could not sleep. When I knocked on their door, they had a house full of people (no parents) and cursed me to hell and back for daring to come ring their bell. The 11 year old even yelled "I hope your son dies." They know we can hear them when they're yelling, and yell obscenities at my husband and I all day long from their bedroom and out the windows.

At this point, my husband and I do not believe it's safe for us to live here. We put the apartment on the market, even though we love it, and we are in contract. We have no where to go, and we're only leaving because we're getting bullied by the two teenagers upstairs. I've called the cops numerous times - about the noise, and the threats/bullying, and they say to call management. Management says there's nothing they can do because this is all very subjective, and maybe my husband and I are "too sensitive."

Is there anything I can do?

quincy

Hi... I posted this in the Coop forum as well, not sure the correct place for it.

I live in NYC.

My husband and I purchased our coop and have had no issues for about 4 years. Last year, a family moved in upstairs - a husband and wife, with two teenage daughters (11 and 13). The two girls share a junior 4 bedroom above my son's room (he is now 7 months old) and blast music all night long (until 2am, at the minimum, even on school nights). Whenever we speak to the parents, they always say they will talk to the girls.. and then we hear the girls yelling about how it's their apartment and they don't care about us and can do whatever they want.

We've complained to the management company several times, and they said there's nothing they can do. Each time we complain to the neighors, the music and jumping only gets louder.

In the past several weeks, things escalated. The parents are never home (we always see them on their way out with friends, and they don't come home until 3-4am). The two girls throw bottles at my husband and I from their balcony, and when we go outside on our balcony, they pour water on us. Last night at 1am (on a Monday), their music was so loud that my 7 month old could not sleep. When I knocked on their door, they had a house full of people (no parents) and cursed me to hell and back for daring to come ring their bell. The 11 year old even yelled "I hope your son dies." They know we can hear them when they're yelling, and yell obscenities at my husband and I all day long from their bedroom and out the windows.

At this point, my husband and I do not believe it's safe for us to live here. We put the apartment on the market, even though we love it, and we are in contract. We have no where to go, and we're only leaving because we're getting bullied by the two teenagers upstairs. I've called the cops numerous times - about the noise, and the threats/bullying, and they say to call management. Management says there's nothing they can do because this is all very subjective, and maybe my husband and I are "too sensitive."

Is there anything I can do?
You report all incidents to the police when they occur, as you have been doing. Send to the management a copy of the city ordinance on noise. If the complaints are serious and frequent enough, management will be put in a position where they may be forced to handle it.

Because you have your apartment on the market, you may not find this an issue must longer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">