• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

harrassing neighbors overy property line

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

propertylines

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA
I recently inherited my familys home. my neighbors have approached me 7-8 times via phone & by the fence asking where the property line is I have told them to my knowledge it is where their chain link fence is. the fence was put in 30 + years ago. my family has been maintaining our side of the fence ever since and they have never stepped foot on my side. they had a fence installer on their property and asked for the current fence to be removed and moved 2 feet back towards my property the fence installer refused. again this week they approached my at the fence and stated they wanted to put in a gate to access the other side of the fence. I suggested this would not be a good idea and later put up no tresspassing signs. a few hours later the wife showed up on my doorstep accessed my property from the driveway which is also posted no tresspassing she was crying and said I was a mean angry person and that they only wanted to put a gate in becasue I put in trees along the property line and becasue I couldnt see behind them anymore they would have to maintain it. the wife hides in the bushes and breaks branches to get my attention when im on my patio then steps back behind her shed so i cant see her. I have read up on adverse possession from what i understand as over 30 years have passed and my family has been maintaining the 2 feet in question I own this land. weather I do or not I dont care my real issue is what can i do to have them stop harrassing me over the property line ? I am also concerned about what false & manufactured claims they may make after she showed up at my door crying blaming this all on me. she also said well Ill have to live there and pretend you dont exist.... that would be nice but they obviously cant do this. I have never done anything to these people I have always been pleasant but their behavior is really starting to concern me as the wife is obviously unbalanced if shes standing in the bushes breaking branches and hiding.

Kiawah

Why don't you guys jointly agree to split the cost of a surveyor, who will mark the property line. Then there will be no confusion.

justalayman

I already know where the property line is.
then stand your ground and tell them to stay off.

but if you know where the property line is, why do you say things such as:

I have told them to my knowledge it is where their chain link fence is
and

I have read up on adverse possession from what i understand as over 30 years have passed and my family has been maintaining the 2 feet in question I own this land.
and with adverse possession, you do not own the land in question until you go to court and a court says you own it. Until then, all you have is a claim of adverse possession.

and to their harassing: I don't see anything you posted as harassing. She is allowed to act juvenile on her property.

propertylines

justalayman

as far as the harrassing I find their behavior intimidating and I am in fear of what claims they will make. they have approached me several times via phone and in person I do not want to be contacted by these people anymore. this women also hides in the bushes and watches me while im in my yard. maybe just medalsom and nosey but it bothers & concerns me. I clearly posted no trespassing signs and she ignored them and still entered my property.

as far as telling them the property line to the best of my knowledge is where the fence is sure may have been misleading or not accurate but its not my responsability to tell them if they have a dispute they should go have their property surveyed. furthermore they have asked over and over again.

I had mine surveyed the surveyors asked how long the fences around the property were there I said some 30 & some 40 years the said then thats where the property lines are.

why are they doing this to me they are not trying to access or maintain their property from their other abuttors property. I should also note that they previously approached this issue with my father he has passed now and now they are pulling the same nonsence with me.

when they moved in years ago the started mowing our property (before they installed fence) and my father told them to get out.

they also complained to the bldg inspector that I was doing work without a permit and also made the same complaint when my dad was alive. this BS has been going on for 40 years and I want it stopped. i may also ad they have a very small piece of land and mine is very large. I just dont get it what is their problem the 2 feet ? jealousy ? or just wacked ?

I mind my own business, dont bother anyone, and am respectfull of the time if I am working in the yard. I just want to be left alone and not be approaced by these people.

justalayman

=propertylines;2630783]as far as the harrassing I find their behavior intimidating and I am in fear of what claims they will make. they have approached me several times via phone and in person I do not want to be contacted by these people anymore.
then tell them this and if they continue, contact the police.

this women also hides in the bushes and watches me while im in my yard. maybe just medalsom and nosey but it bothers & concerns me.
but it is legal.

I clearly posted no trespassing signs and she ignored them and still entered my property.
then call the police the next time this happens. If you will not enforce your rights, you have none.

as far as telling them the property line to the best of my knowledge is where the fence is sure may have been misleading or not accurate but its not my responsability to tell them if they have a dispute they should go have their property surveyed.
that has nothing to do with you stating matter of fact you know where the line is and then clearly indicating that was not true.

I had mine surveyed the surveyors asked how long the fences around the property were there I said some 30 & some 40 years the said then thats where the property lines are.
I simply find that hard to believe. Surveyors are licensed by the state they work in. Their word is one of the most dependable in court of all due to their position. They cannot simply toss out "then that's where the property line is" because it is not legally true nor dependable. Now, if the property description uses the fence line as a monument, that is a different situation but without some serious investigation, they would not know that this fence is the one being referred to.

why are they doing this to me they are not trying to access or maintain their property from their other abuttors property. I should also note that they previously approached this issue with my father he has passed now and now they are pulling the same nonsence with me
.because that is the kind of people they are. It takes all kinds to make the world go around.

when they moved in years ago the started mowing our property (before they installed fence) and my father told them to get out.
a very good action

they also complained to the bldg inspector that I was doing work without a permit and also made the same complaint when my dad was alive
.I presume the claim either fell on deaf ears or you and your father were exonerated.

this BS has been going on for 40 years and I want it stopped.
the problem is; you cannot control what your neighbor does. You can report their illegal actions to the police. You can defend yourself if they accuse you of something but in the end, they can go about their lives, even though you don't like it, until they break the law.

jealousy ?
maybe

or just wacked ?
maybe

I mind my own business, dont bother anyone, and am respectfull of the time if I am working in the yard. I just want to be left alone and not be approaced by these people.
I understand so you can do what you can do. Ignore them. Don't react to the wife watching you or put up a fence or view screen to block the view. If they are too persistent, it might rise to the point of harassment. You might speak with the local police to find out where they would consider the neighbors actions to reach that level. Once it does, then the courts can take action against them.

propertylines

Surveyors

[QUOTE
I simply find that hard to believe. Surveyors are licensed by the state they work in. Their word is one of the most dependable in court of all due to their position. They cannot simply toss out "then that's where the property line is" because it is not legally true nor dependable. Now, if the property description uses the fence line as a monument, that is a different situation but without some serious investigation, they would not know that this fence is the one being referred to.

my deed references and old fence as a monument. the whole survey was a nightmare. the property description was done in the 1800's and is very sketchy. they surveyors in my opinion were not the best at their job. they also indicated that all abuttors had plot plans but my property did not and that whatever was left after the other lots were surveyed whatever was left was mine which is fine its the largest lot. I have 14 abuttors surrounding my lot. so yeah im in everyones backyard. I guess at this point my best action is to call the police when/if they tresspass again, or be done with it and put up a stockade fence which I really cant afford.

i put in the trees to try and stop her from watching me, which is why she now wants to access the other side of the fence as she cannot see as good around them. I could care less about the 2 feet yes i could easily say look heres the exact line dont cross it but trust me it wont stop there its been 40 years of nonsence there is zero logical reasoning for her to want to be on the other side of their chain link fence except to have her nose in my face and call the town for anything she can.

thanks for your comments I do appreciate it and it did give some things to consider

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">