• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harrassment/stalking/videotaping/photographing laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jesmom

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania
My neighbor has been harrassing, stalking, videotaping and photographing my children (without our consent) and will not stop. It has caused emotional distress to our family. We were told by the police that they are doing nothing illegal and they are just being the neighbors from hell. I thought there were laws protecting children from this. They have a video camera aimed at the street, and everytime my children walk by they are being viewed on a big screen television. Then the family comes out and stares. My children have done nothing to warrant this harrassment.
Is there anything we can do to get them to stop? :confused:

BelizeBreeze

Unless your children are in the house with the windows and blinds closed and the neighbor is illegally entering to take these videos and photos, then the police are correct.

bdancer

I suggest you instruct your children to stay off the neighbors property, including all those "accidental" incursions to retreive balls, skateboards, bikes, etc. You might even instruct your little darlings to NOT walk past the neighbors house -- go the other way.

Not everyone thinks your kids are cute, especially when they damage landscaping or are too loud.

jesmom

Here's the thing - they DON'T go on their property. They stay on the road, across the street. They even come out and stare at my husband, so it's just our family. The creep is watching EVERYONE go by on his big screen tv, as the camera has a fish eye. The only reason they go past is to get to their friend's house - the alternative is travel a mile around the block and back up the hill. They also have to go past to get to and from the school bus, so avoiding the house is not an option. Also, any other kids in the neighborhood walk past and they are not stared at, spied on, etc. This is because I told my kids they are not allowed to hang out with their "little darling." The family even has their "posse" of friends causing problems for us.

BelizeBreeze

jesmom said:
Here's the thing - they DON'T go on their property. They stay on the road, across the street. They even come out and stare at my husband, so it's just our family. The creep is watching EVERYONE go by on his big screen tv, as the camera has a fish eye.
Again, NOT illegal.
The only reason they go past is to get to their friend's house - the alternative is travel a mile around the block and back up the hill. They also have to go past to get to and from the school bus, so avoiding the house is not an option. Also, any other kids in the neighborhood walk past and they are not stared at, spied on, etc. This is because I told my kids they are not allowed to hang out with their "little darling." The family even has their "posse" of friends causing problems for us.
and this changes the LEGAL opinion not one bit.

randyp

REal advice

ok u need to tell your kids and their friends to videotape the man when he comes out of his house. If he ever says anything that is innapropreate or threatoning to the kids then you may have a case. Or you could just videotape the man back and give him a taste of his own medicine. You could also move to a different location but that is no fun.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">