• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Have a neighbor who keeps hiring contractors who encroach on our land, use chainsaws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ThisMakeSense

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Connecticut

And loud machinery at the crack of dawn, and are virtually destroying the quality of our home ownership, and our life. Not to mention, we cannot get a decent night's sleep!
The workers the neighbor hired started a chainsaw this week on a Sunday morning at only 8 o'clock in the morning! When we went out to see who was using such loud machinery it was the neighbor next door, who had her hired workers parking on top of our lawn for several feet, even though there was enough space for them to park their truck, in her driveway alone!
We couldn't back to sleep at all, since her house is only 20 feet away from ours! When we told the hired worker to move his truck, he said he'd do that, but then the owner of the business she hired, came back to her place after several minutes, and started getting verbally abusive to me, and even yelled at me to "go back to bed".' He also made a comment that if I didn't like what he was doing to "call the police".
Now generally the police in our area, won't do a thing to help people if you're being harassed. They'll even harass you. This is bad news.
This neighbor did this to us, three seperate times this week!
Then two days after she had them come out with a chainsaw early on a Sunday morning, she had them come out again, and start the chainsaw at 7:15 am in the morning!
There's numerous elderly people too, in our neighborhood who live right near her. There's a few disabled people too, who live nearby, so she obviously violating not only our rights to get a decent nights sleep but everyone else in the neighborhood too.
We went and got all our stuff out of our yard, that we had left overnight, because I felt very uncomfortable leaving it there, with such negligent contractors, that she had hired.
When I walked up to our door, the next door neighbor, in this really hateful, hostile voice, demanded to know, "what are you doing?"
well, the truck that the contractor was using was about to bash into one of our shrubs, besides, crushing the grass on our lawn..
There's a whole length of our lawn now, at least 40 feet long, that has been crushed by the huge truck her contractor used.
Once again, this morning at 7:15 am, we hear this really loud lawn mower, and got up to see the verbally abusive business owner, running his large industrial mower all over OUR lawn.
Now, I see there's huge gouges and bare patches in OUR lawn! He even ran over her stone wall, trying to back his truck down her driveway!
I mean, really this neighbor always hires the worst and most inconsiderate workers she can.
The last time she hired someone to work on her property, the men in charge, dumped half a dozen large heavy lawn tools all OVER the front strip of OUR lawn, even though it wasn't our lawn they were working on!
We'd just finished seeding our lawn too, and the grass was finally starting to grow up nice & healthy!
I don't want to be woken up at the crack of dawn by loud machinery like chainsaws, loud industrial mowers, find total strangers all over our property, when we got a very visible No Trespassing Sign up in our yard too!
There is a noise ordinance law in our town and I suspect they are violating this on numerous ocassions.
When I complained to the neighbor about them parking on my lawn, and it was only 7:30 am, she declared, "it was no big deal", so obviously she doesn't care about our feelings or our property! She's a very inconsiderate and unfriendly neighbor.
We're also thinking about selling our property, so we really don't need our property damaged and torn apart by a negligent lawn service company she's decided to hire!
What are our options? Whom can we complain to, and get some positive results? BTW, she never speak us, normally.
This time, was the first time, in months, that she even said a word to us, and it was a pretty nasty tone in her voice too! :eek:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

cyjeff

You call the police. They handle noise complaints.

If you don't want to call the police, you have no other options.

ThisMakeSense

Could we get some legal advice from an atty on this post?

Like I said before, when we went to call the police before to ask for help, for someone who was violating the laws, the police refused to help, and were even abusive to us!
So, calling the police does no good at all! In fact they just had a news story on TV on how this Hartford police man stopped a CT female politician and ordered her out of her car and made her walk 3 miles home in the dark, in a bad neighborhood no less!
Unfortunately there's a lot of police corruption in the state of CT now. They even had a story on a Granby cop, who ran over a 15 year old on a bike and killed him, when the cop was drunk, but now the cop wants his job back, and $50,000 in back pay!
You cannnot win for losing in the state of Connecticut. I'm thinking there's got to be a way to get results besides just relying on unempathetic police officers who don't enforce the laws & like to violate our civil rights. I find it sad that the police would be acting this way to the general public, but it's become a fact.

justalayman

Sue the contractor for trespassing and for the damage to your lawn.
when you sue, include the neighbor as a defendant. If you sue just the contractor, they may be able to skirt liability arguing the employer/homeowner directed them to do as they did without them knowing it was your lawn. If you have both parties in court together, they can't play the blame game blaming the other party.

csi7

Get a current property survey done, have permanent markers visible and place boundary markers at regular intervals along the property line.
That will effectively make your lawsuit a little easier to present, with visible evidence of current property markings. Take lots of still photos, with dates, times, and with company logo showing.

Send a NOTICE OF TRESPASS to the company's corporate consul (serve via registered agent .. secretary of state website will tell you .. or other such person able to accept legal process) certified mail. Provide your local PD a copy & copy the town clerk (just to cover all bases).

Then video tape the people entering onto your property & then call the police .. if they still do not wish to do anything, I would be surprised).

You may be able to arrest them under citizens arrest I think (check on this) but this opens you up to potential civil liability. This would be after filing a notice of trespass.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">