• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hello! question about next door neighbors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

karenk7286

What is the name of your state? nj
Hello everyone! Im new here and my name is karen and just wanted to introduce myself.

I have an issue that Im not to sure how to go abouts, and if you can help me I would greatly appreciate it.

Heres my situation:
I am a single mother of 2 and I am usually home most of the day. Also I live in a townhouse community.
The neighbors 3 houses just moved in(young college students) and have been very loud ever since and it seems like they exceed the amount of people that are alowed to live there because there are always the same people and same cars parked in the guest spot day and night for 2 months now. Most of the house here are MAX 3 bedrooms and a basement. Now I know for a fact that living in the basement is illegal.

Now my question is:
Should I call the divison of inspectors and have them come and check the house for illegal occupants? :confused:
I also dont want any problems with these people and woudnt want them to find out who sent a complaint about them.
Thank you very very much!
-karen

FarmerJ

Karen since you dont live in the unit any housing inspector you call can be refused access by the occupant unless your city has a mandated periodic inspection program. even then the inspector can be turned away and then the LL will have to deal with it. so keep your complaint to the LL about people parking in the guest spot for extended periods and make your complaint in writting sent certified. as to basement use if the basement cannot be used for sleeping with out meeting code requirements then perhaps they are using it as a living room or other space. Again though its between the LL and the tenant.

karenk7286

Farmerj thanks for the info.
Ive met with the landlord and he just does not seem to care :eek:
This is just getting rediculous, what do u mean by the inspector being turned away? Is there any other way i can get an inspector over there?

Thanks so much
-Karen

FarmerJ

Karen If a renter has a city housing inspector come to the door and they didnt call them out. The inspector can ask the tenant if they may come in and look around BUT the tenant who didnt call them to start with can tell them NO, and unless the city has a mandated periodic inspection program for all rentals in the city the inspector is out of luck if they are denied access. and can only look at things on the outside of the unit. IF there is a mandated inspection program and the inspector is refused they then contact the LL and get the LL to make the tenant comply under threat of eventual eviction if the inspector cannot get in . Karen If a city inspector came to your door and you didnt call them out would you let them in ? Years ago I when I bought my first home one day a city inspector came to my door thinking I was just a tenant and wanted to come in . I asked her why and she only said because she was with the city inspections dept and wanted to see the inside. I told her NO . she had tried the same thing on others in my area ,she didnt appear happy, but too bad for her when I broke the news that I had bought the house.

Last edited:

nextwife

FarmerJ said:
I told her NO . she had tried the same thing on others in my area ,she didnt appear happy, but too bad for her when I broke the news that I had bought the house.
Many of the municipalities around here have "occupancy permit" code compliance inspections REQUIRED whenever property is conveyed. Failure to comply and have the required code compliance inspection done, and complete any work ordered because of non-compliance would result in a hefty fine on the owner, so the building inspector MUST be allowed in prior to any new owner taking occupancy and complete their checklist, or come back and reinspect after ordered work is done. Most lenders will not allow the closing to occur unless the Certificate of Compliance is brought to closing

This may not help in a rental scenario, but in FarmerJ's example, the new owner would be facing big fines and compliance orders by failing to obtain the code compliance inspection before they closed, or at minimum, before taking occupancy. Announcing to the inspector "Too bad, I bought the place" would be the equivilant of shooting oneself in the foot.

POster, DO check and see what the occupancy permit requirements may be.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">