• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help!!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

michelledavis

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? SC
I purchased a 1/2 acre of land from a lady next door in 2002. I was going to put a driveway on the left side of my house but it had a big gully...I was going to fill it in but the state said I couldn't but anyway I discussed with the neighbor I bought the land from about my driveway she stated don't worry honey you can put it right here and I explained that is on her land she said it was ok that she wasn't going to miss that part of the land that she never used so I put my driveway in with no problems for years. The lady ended up a few years later selling some of the land behind me. That lady is now in a old folks home with alzheimers so I'm lost! I came home from work yesterday and had steaks down the middle of my driveway. I was furious! The lady says that she owns that land and she is taking half the drive that I have maintained for 9 years. I feel this is unfair and I don't know what to do :( Can she take it? I did remove her steaks out and told her to get off my property can I get into trouble?

154NH773

Short answer; It is not your land, and you have not established any right to it.
You may be guilty of a criminal act by removing the surveyor's stakes, and/or could be sued for the cost of having them replaced.

Ozark_Sophist

Sounds like you had a permissive easement that can be revoked at any time. Unless you had a written, recorded easement, you may be out of luck. Contact a local attorney. It will probably be cheaper and more successful (at least until you had at it with the neighbor) to buy an easement then sue.

justalayman

I came home from work yesterday and had steaks down the middle of my driveway. I was furious!
I would be too. With the cost of food these days, putting steaks on your driveway would infuriate me as well.

It would have been more accurate and cost efficient to use stakes.

I did remove her steaks out and told her to get off my property can I get into trouble?
yes, you can. It isn't your property and if it costs money to have the stakes placed back, that is on you. If you are on her property, she can call the police and seek to have you charged with trespassing.

sally1

Legally it is not your land.You should have bought the land from the previous neighbor before putting in your driveway.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">