• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help ! Commercial business in a residential zone

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

frustrated home

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

My neighbor is running a business in a residental zone. Deliveries are constant on a small residential street. Merchandise is constantly being delivered and is causing traffic (and complaints from fellow neighbors)Operational hours range from 6 am to 11 pm almost on a daily basis. Is this possible in a residential zone?

I live in a semi detached house with a "shared" driveway. We respectively have our own side of the driveway which access our respective garages.

FarmerJ

Unless your city has written ords that limit the number of package deliveries to a home I doubt there is any thing they can do unless the neighbor begins to have customers come to the house itself. Check with your city to learn how local zoning rules address commercial traffic.

JustAPal00

Unless your city has written ords that limit the number of package deliveries to a home I doubt there is any thing they can do unless the neighbor begins to have customers come to the house itself. Check with your city to learn how local zoning rules address commercial traffic.
Check to see what the local ordinances say. Do they have customers coming to the house? Do they have any employees?

frustrated home

Customers arent coming to the house no. Its a vending machine business so products are being delivered on a daily basis for the most part. Employees and vans are constantly goign back and forth. I will check local ordinances. Thx!

drewguy

Customers arent coming to the house no. Its a vending machine business so products are being delivered on a daily basis for the most part. Employees and vans are constantly goign back and forth. I will check local ordinances. Thx!
The absence of customers doesn't mean it's not a business. Check the local ordinances and discuss it with the enforcement people. From your description this sounds like it could go beyond the "home businesses" (e.g., some old lady sewing dresses) that frequently are allowed.

Kiawah

Sounds like a warehouse to me. Trucks coming in delivering bulk cases of goods, perhaps inventory stored, trucks loaded to deliver/reload vending machines. Perhaps you'll need to begin tracking/recording the number of delivery vehicles, to help make any case you think you might make with the zoning board.

Last edited:

JustAPal00

The absence of customers doesn't mean it's not a business. Check the local ordinances and discuss it with the enforcement people. From your description this sounds like it could go beyond the "home businesses" (e.g., some old lady sewing dresses) that frequently are allowed.
I never said it did. In fact a friend of mine opperated a truck dispatching business out of her basement. She had 3 employees who came mon-fri. No customers or trucks ever came to her house. One of her neighbors reported her to the township because of the employees cars parked on the street and she was fined and forced to move her business to a commercial site. A buisness with customers on the premises is much easier to identify. Employees on site would also be a red flag. It would be more difficult to argue that a home business is a violation of code if there are neither of the above. I've never heard of local ordinances that limit the number of deliveries a person can get at their home. It's usually customers and employees that cause the problem.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">