• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HELP my neighbor is harrassing us!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tonikae1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

I moved into our home a year ago. I am renting the house I am in. The harrassement has been an on going issue since we moved in. The neighbors I will call Mr. and Mrs. Drunk. This is an older retired couple. First my Stepson, who was 5 at the time, got stung by a bee the first day we moved in so we had to ask them for some ice. We thought they were friendly neighbors. I had even talked to them on the first day of signing the lease and they said if we ever needed anything just ask. The next day we wanted to know if they had a pump for the kids bikes, this is when everything started. Mr Drunk came outside with his pump and told me 'I am not going to be your go to guy when you all don't have certian things you need. I mean I just saw the biggest big screen t.v. go in that house and that is something I could never afford in my life'. I just old him 'that is fine its not a problem I will just buy a pump and then the kids will not have to ask him for anything else'. As the weeks went on the kids would be outside playing, the girls were out playing in the water in there bathing suits in our back yard and noticed Mr. Drunk taking pictures of them. The next day they were dancing in our driveway and noticed Mr. Drunk taking even more pictures of them and everytime they would look he would put his camera down. My Fiance went out and confronted Mr. Drunk and he informed my Fiance he was taking pictures to make sure the kids weren't doing any property damage to his residents. We let it go. 3 months after we moved in we got a small dog, Miniture Pincher, named Twix. He would bark if our front door was open or he would bark if he was in our back yard when the neighbors Mr. and Mrs. Drunk where in there back yard. So they told us Twix would bark at them and said is there something we could do about it. I told them I would just keep him in the house and let him out when he need to use the bathroom. The next day the Human Society was knocking at our door. They informed me their was a report that the dog was had been tied up and this happens frequently and that he cant get to his food and water. I informed the Human Society Officer our dog is an inside dog and he does not go outside unless he needs to use the restroom or plays with the children. The only time he would get chained is if the boys were playing football and if they dont the dog will bite at there clothes and rip them. So the Officer just left because there was no laws I was braking. I had my Fiance go talk with the neighbors and the informed them they did not call the them, they said they had already spoke with us so they would need to do that. OK, I had even believed them. So, after all this notes were being left on our car to stop our dog from barking and be respectful of the neighbors. We go out and by a bark collar for our dog. Once we do that Mr. and Mrs. Drunk decided that its to mean for the dogs to have bark collars on them but they still want us to keep them quite. We are damned if we do and damned if we dont. About a month later we were sitting out side playing with the kids and my Fiance goes and talks to the man down the street about his car when he gets back Mr. Drunk comes over and demands to know what my Fiance was talking to the neighbor down the street for. He said he knows how to fix cars. He was like 'ohh he does know how to do that'. I was shocked.

I apologize if this is so long but I want you to get the full picture of what all has been going on.

So 2 months ago my Fiances oldest sons falls on hard times and had to bring his dogs to come live with us just for 2 months. I informed him he needs to get his dogs some bark collars before they come stay. We puts them in the back yard and they are bigger so they are fighting with our little dog. So my Fiance makes a fence for the dogs so the can not come in contact with our dog. That same day I was getting ready to leave and Mr. and Mrs. Drunk come up to the car and ask me what I am doing to my dog? Why are they fenced off like that from Twix. That Twix was getting along so well with the dogs. I informed he the dogs have been being mean to twix and so they left me alone. That same night we leave and go to the store and my brother is over with the children he calls us and tells us to come back Mr. and Mrs Drunk are acting irrational and are swaring at the children and telling them they are going to kill the dogs. When we got back Mrs. Drunk (and now the reason I call her that is because we started noticing everytime she messes with us she has been drinking) is screaming at the top of her lungs telling us she is going to report us and that we are killing our dogs and she is going to get us evicted out of our house. And that we are trash. And all we bring to the neighborhood is trash. Clearly she is drunk and is slerring her words. At this time though I am finally done! I told her she need to find something else better to do and leave our house and my children alone. To make a long story short she is all in my Fiance's face screaming and yelling and he calls the police they told her if she doesn't go in the house and calm down they are taking her to Jail. She is cussing at the police and finally goes in the house. Since then we have gotten notes on our car with poop bags saying 'we notice you don't use them heres a starter kit' mind you our dogs dont leave our back yard. They have been peeking over the fince and hiding behind the tree when we bbq. At night they are peeking in our front window. Yesterday the Human Society was back over at our house saying the 2 dogs are on short chains. I let them see for themselves and they noted that it was not correct. Last night we bought some boards to go up along the fence so they can not see over and they started cussing and pushed the boards down and then begged us to call the police. I am just to the point were I don't know what to do. I don't say anything to them because I don't want to fuel the fire but we are just innocent neighbors who go to work everyday and are trying to support our children.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

justalayman

when they do something illegal, call the police. Other than that, do not interact with them. If they come onto your property, tell them to leave. If they walk up to you while off your property, ignore them or walk away.

There is little you can do about somebody calling the humane society and making a report. It appears you have satisfied them each time. Eventually, Humane society realizes what is happening and tends to start ignoring calls.

Tonikae1

I have been calling the Police, this is my 2nd time. I do ignore what they are saying and don't respond. I just throw away there notes and tell my kids not to talk to them. They even tell me to call the police on them, actually begging, 'please call the police, please??'. Then when the police leave they put there thumbs in there ears and stick there tongue out at me. They act so Juvenile. I think I am more frustrated then anything and don't want them to feel like there making me run away by moving but at this point I think I want too. I just don't want to give them the satisfaction.

usafdrew

If they are drunk and taunting you to call the police, then do just that, but ask the officer if they can do anything about public intoxication/disorderly conduct. Mention you have children that are witnessing this behavior.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">