• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help need advice on a ditch (canal)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

all wet

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?FLORIDA POLK CO. its a long story but here goes ..I bought 5 acres of land raw on a developed rd. you can't build on less than 5...(good) the neighbor on the south of me has 20 acs.purchased a year ahead of me ..after I started to clear and clean the homesite about a yr.after purchase had to build a drive etc.brush so thick you could hardly see the fence if at all in most places ..500.+ FT.long . neighbors side was clear all the way .I have beautiful trees but most are dying now from water standing. AHH now the point of my question ...after I cleared my 1/4 -3/4 ac. area
he buys a backhoe and starts digging holes all over his land ( fine)..as he says to hold the water and help us all from flooding ...... but then right against the property line and in places on my property he digs a ditch 3-4 ft deep and between 10 and 15 ft wide the length of his property all the way around ..20 ac. and used the dirt to put around his house . I have back 5 and he has 4 parcels square he lives on 1 in the front south corner I'm in the n.w. corner ...The water flow here in this area is to the (west north west ) so the fence post have washed in to the canal . and he channeled all the water into the ditch _canal (to big for a ditch) and has the land built up on the otherside of it so it floods onto my property everytime it rains ..can't talk to him i've tried many times, he says the water flows east and away from me ... I couldn't figure where all the water was coming from till a few weeks ago and I started clearing the fence line to repair the fence and ran into his little secret 500 ft. drain ...i've had to haul in fill etc. but that does no good ... its killing my land.....Any Advice .....Thanks

htine30

Have you tried Polk County Land Development?

If you haven't already, you should talk to the folks at Polk County Land Development about what regulations are in place regarding ditch digging/water run-off. They have the regs online, and you could sift through them, but you're probably better seeing if they have a client assistance desk where you can talk to a person.

The next place you should check is the Southwest Florida Water Management District. Even if they can't address your problem, they could probably direct you to someone who could.

Water in Florida is a huge issue and the good folks at the WMDs don't take kindly to people making their own canals, even if it is on their own property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">