• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HELP!! Night Club across the street from my condo!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JKR700

Hello everyone:

I own a condo in Virginia and i bought it brand new. When I purchased the condo there was space available for retail shops and the space across the street from my condo was vacant at the time. The retail space was used as a Asian buffet (my neighbors were upset at the smells of the excessive trash) but it didn't bother me much. Fast forward a year later, the Asian buffet is gone and now there is a Rock and Roll night club there! They made the residential parking spaces into motorcycle parking :eek: and they're open 7 days and NIGHTS a week with peak hours from 11-2am. Had I known that this would have replaced the buffet, I would have immediately turned down the offer to purchase a condo in that specific location. The noise from the bikes and loud grunge music is now absolutely unbearable. Can someone offer me any type of advice? Thank you in advance.

JKR700

earplugs.

^
Thanks for the suggestion but umm I do wear them and they are not effective nor do they really solve the problem. It really grinds my gears that I'm paying so much with mortgage + association fees and I am not happy with my place of residence. I would really appreciate some concrete legal advice from anyone on the forum. Thanks

Banned_Princess

Thanks for the suggestion but umm I do wear them and they are not effective nor do they really solve the problem. It really grinds my gears that I'm paying so much with mortgage + association fees and I am not happy with my place of residence. I would really appreciate some concrete legal advice from anyone on the forum. Thanks
What is it you WANT to do? because legally theres nothing you CAN do.

Oh yea, you can sell, or rent your place to someone else.

JKR700

What is it you WANT to do? because legally theres nothing you CAN do.

Oh yea, you can sell, or rent your place to someone else.
I'm not sure of what I WANT to do because I don't know what I CAN do. The retail spaces, parking spaces, apartments, and condos are all run by the association. I was told that I can address the issue with the association and see where it goes but I would like to be a little more informed of what I CAN or can't do. So I would appreciate some concrete advice because "wear earplugs" isn't cutting the mustard.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'll disagree slightly - You can complain to the city code-enforcement folks. In fact, if this bothers many of your neighbors, you can all get together and make complaints...

It's entirely possible the city doesn't even know there is a problem.

FarmerJ

Yes complain to city council person BUT if the property currently is being used as it was zoned for I dont see alot of change happening , Night clubs come and go, its fair odds the new hot spot will become tiring after a while , people will go back to so called favorite places. If the place is not following zoning rules city will address that too.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">