• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

His Invisible Fence Wire Wasn't Buried...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NewNeighbors

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio.

Hello, I recently purchased a property that has some ugly little trees/bushes/shrubs (I'm not sure what they technically are) along our fence line.
I decided to trim one down today because I do not want the rabbits that have been visiting it to make a nest and have my dog hurt them.

Anyways, there are vine type things growing along my neighbor's fence and they have spread out over to the bush I was trimming. I didn't realize at first because I started cutting on my side but when I was pulling the cut branches, I was also forcibly pulling the vines so they would break off and allow my branches to fall.

Once I was able to reach the fence line I eventually noticed that there was a yellow wire going along his fence and part of it was broken.

When the gentleman originally introduced himself he said he had an invisible fence; he did not say that it wasn't buried like a normal one.

I have not told my neighbor that I may have possibly broke his invisible fence because I'm not sure it was entirely my fault and it could have potentially been broken before I went out today... granted I know that's probably not the case.

If this becomes an issue; what are my options?
Thank you

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio.

Hello, I recently purchased a property that has some ugly little trees/bushes/shrubs (I'm not sure what they technically are) along our fence line.
I decided to trim one down today because I do not want the rabbits that have been visiting it to make a nest and have my dog hurt them.

Anyways, there are vine type things growing along my neighbor's fence and they have spread out over to the bush I was trimming. I didn't realize at first because I started cutting on my side but when I was pulling the cut branches, I was also forcibly pulling the vines so they would break off and allow my branches to fall.

Once I was able to reach the fence line I eventually noticed that there was a yellow wire going along his fence and part of it was broken.

When the gentleman originally introduced himself he said he had an invisible fence; he did not say that it wasn't buried like a normal one.

I have not told my neighbor that I may have possibly broke his invisible fence because I'm not sure it was entirely my fault and it could have potentially been broken before I went out today... granted I know that's probably not the case.

If this becomes an issue; what are my options?
Thank you
You should offer to pay for the damage you caused...

ETA: I know I'm tired and grumpy...but this is really a no brainer. You're going to have a miserable life in the neighborhood if you couldn't even come to the same conclusion.

NewNeighbors

You're right, Zigner. I felt super guilty after writing up the post and decided to be honest and offer to pay for it.

Turns out his old neighbor let him spread a fence over into the other yard (My yard backs into 3 different yards) and he says that I broke the old fence. He was very grateful I was honest and said even if I broke it he had the tools to fix it.

Even if you were tired/grumpy it was the right answer!

Thank you for pushing me to do the right thing!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You're right, Zigner. I felt super guilty after writing up the post and decided to be honest and offer to pay for it.

Turns out his old neighbor let him spread a fence over into the other yard (My yard backs into 3 different yards) and he says that I broke the old fence. He was very grateful I was honest and said even if I broke it he had the tools to fix it.

Even if you were tired/grumpy it was the right answer!

Thank you for pushing me to do the right thing!
I'm glad that worked out - and I predict a health, friendly relationship with your new neighbors :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">