• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hoa

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eva_sugar

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

Hi, I have a question that I hope somebody can answer... I live in Virginia and recently purchased a home in a neighborhood that is governed by an HOA. Since I have a toddler and a new born, I decided to request pool passes, after all, I am paying rather steep HOA dues. The management company that administers the HOA refuses to issue a pass for my toddler and new born children unless I provide them with the date of birth and picture of each one of them.
I do understand the requirement for children 12 and older because they can use the pool by themselves, but it seems like a violation of my minor child's privacy to request all this personal information. I am not all right with sending them the pictures with dates of birth, they already have my address. Is there anything that I can legally do about it? I am basically paying for a service that I am not able to use since I am not comfortable with releasing that much information about my children. They say they try to cut the use of the pool by non residents... really???? Do they mean to tell me that a 4 year old can walk by himself to the pool from a different neighborhood or what?
I asked for proof that they do background checks on the employees handling this information but apparently that is confidential... Please help!!!
This is too much!

NC Aggie

(This is not the appropriate forum for this question)

However, based on the information you provided, I don't think the HOA's management company's request is unreasonable. Pool access is often a big issue in community pools and HOAs are often criticized for how they control access. Sounds like your HOA is taking steps to prevent non-residents from using the pool.

I honestly don't think there is any recourse other than going through the HOA board.

Kiawah

Give them the info and enjoy the pool.

You have much greater things to worry about than this. Wait till the kids want access to facebook.

dmcc10880

It's not unreasonable for the HOA to request this information as it may well serve to protect you and your children. Many HOAs request information on everyone living in the home. You signed off on the HOA docs when you purchased, so you can't claim you weren't aware of these requirements.

Best idea? Just give them the info and enjoy the pool with the kids this summer or it's not too late to build a pool in your own back yard.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">