• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hoa And Commerical Vehicles

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CMICH

What is the name of your state? MISSOURI
I just received a violation for parking my service vehicle in my driveway from the homeowner's association and are going to be fined $10 a day until it is corrected.This service van is my part of my condition of my employment.I am dispatched from my home to different work sites.Before I purchased my home in this neighborhood I got verbal confirmation from the president of the HOA that it would be no problem to park my service vehicle in my driveway. The CCR's were never enforced until now three years later.My service vehicle is to tall to fit in my garage. This service vehicle is my job. Do I have a case ?

CMICH

Cmich

NO, we did not get in writing .We relied on this verbal confirmation.The realtor informed us at the time of purchasing the home, so thats why we called the president of the HOA.We lived here for three years and were never bothered and there are about 10-15 other commercial vehicles in the neighborhood and weren't bothered until now by this new board members.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
By restrictions, are you referring to the one that was clear to you on the written documents when you moved in?

I would suggest you consult with a local real estate attorney...

xylene

Is there any evidence that commercial vehicles bring down property values?
That is irrelevant.

The could prohibit Toyota Camrys if that was the rule.

Never rely on verbal anything concerning real estate.

Consider modifying your garage if possible.

Com. vehicle restrictions are a well tested and lawful prohibition. Absent some utterly clumsy set up of the rules, they won't be overturned in court.

Garage it, Lobby to get them changed, move, or park elsewhere. Those are the only workable options.

xylene

How do you go about lobbying the HOA? Do I start a petition to change CCR's?
Yes those would be some options. You also might want to hire a lawyer with experience in HOA law and ask them for their opinion on how to procede and the costs involved.

That is why modifying you garage might be the cheapest option (if allowed), short of selling the house.

CMICH

Isn't sad that property values and a quick sale of a home is more important than individual liberties.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Isn't sad that property values and a quick sale of a home is more important than individual liberties.
C'mon man...

YOU chose to move in to a place with restrictions. I can park a "service vehicle" in front of my house any time I want (except on street cleaning morning). Why? Because I chose NOT to live under a HOA! :rolleyes:

Wow. Yes your 'right' to drive a work truck that is a condition of your at will employment in a non 'right' to work station and park it at home rather than at a shop is just a travesty.

Better give Jesse Jackson a call...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">