• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HOA installs speedbumps on 17mph road without vote

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

groznyiv

I live in Edmond Oklahoma in a gated community with an HOA. Recently the board had installed just on my street 2 sets of speed bumps, not humps, to slow down traffic. They are spaced about 100 feet apart. There are no other speed bumps in the entire neighborhood. This is all due to where people drop off their children in the neighborhood at a private sidewalk that leads to the back of the school. This area is not a school zone. They have also blocked the southbound side of the road to through traffic with a golf cart and are forcing people to go a mile around the neighborhood to drop off the kids on the opposite side of the road to the sidewalk. This forces kids to walk across the roadway to get to the sidewalk.

My question: Is this legal? Can they block the road to through traffic? Does this not present a hazard since the bumps are designed to slow vehicles to 5mph or less? Would this not impede emergency vehicles from getting to my house and others at the end of this street?

In Vickburg v. Harrellton the Mississippi Supreme Court ruled that speed bumps constituted an inherent danger to motorists. Do I have any recourse in having these removed based on that legal case or any other? My father-in-law recently had a heart attack and has recovered but he spends two days a week at my house. It is a real possibility that he could need emergency help at any time.

Thank you,
David
Edmond Oklahoma

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">