• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HOA and Neighbor Harassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

K9Protector

What is the name of your state?
Missouri

I will briefly recap what has happened to us in the last 2 years... We moved to a home in Dec. 2002... The problems started almost immediately....

We had our first HOA meeting in Jan 2003.... We presented an idea to erect a fence on our property... I asked what all needed to be done based on the restrictions.... Bad confrontation at meeting.... Neighbors adamant about not having a fence on our property even at this first meeting (puzzling since other fences existed in our small neighborhood).

I presented a proposal to Board and it was rejected based on opinion (& not requirements in restriction).... We approached a lawyer whom quickly acted on this (and ran up a large bill)....

Since a fence existed on our property prior to our ownership, the lawyer told us we had a right to reinstall this fence since it was taken down by the City during a street widening project (our property backs to major street)... It was to be replaced but wasn't, per an agreement we find with the prior owners and the city.

The City agreed to reinstalled the fence (we paid half).... The HOA took us to court, we lost, we took down fence, and paid all lawyers fees.

After Court Decision, we submitted over 50 proposals to HOA and even asked for them to put together a proposal that they would find acceptable.... All rejected.

Adjoining neighbor (whom is on Board) has verbally harassed me on several occasions (very careful not to come onto our property). Also, we have had vandalism on our property (The latest was they took our 10' x 20' Dog kennel off of our property and placed it on the busy road behind our home... Police notified us and we were able to get it off of the road prior to damage being done to it.)...

We have also had hedges on our property destroyed (since a fence proposal was constantly rejected, I planted hedges around our property to have a living barrier). We have had paint balls shot at our home, we have had our Christmas Displays tampered with, we have been flipped off, we have been shunned, my cat died mysteriously, dogs (neighborhood dogs, etc) enter our yard and have even caused problems with our dogs, neighbor allows their dog to use our yard as restroom (while on a leash) and right now I can not think what else...

The latest occurrence happened today.... I was putting up a trampoline for my children... The neighbor (wife) came out and accused me a placing a video camera on the side of our home... I told her it was a security light and not a camera... She did not believe me, thus I brought the box out for her to see.... She said she did not like the trampoline since she could see it out her kitchen window.... She wanted to know how I could put up a trampoline with kids since I was so concerned about their safety. I personally do not like trampolines, however, this one has a safety net and is designed for only one person at a time. My daughter has an interest in gymnastics and my son just needs to burn energy... The trampoline I put up was a gift from their uncle and it has a surround netting for protection..... (NOTE: This neighbor has a trampoline and a small child too... Kind of Hypocritical)...

She told me we should move since no one on the street liked us and we only think of ourselves.... She said "if you cleaned up around your place...." I inquired and she said the swing set, the trampoline, the birdhouses and the dog kennel where outrageous... She referred to the security light making our home a compound atmosphere and I told her we needed more security due to the fact that we have had vandalism on our property... She acted puzzled and I told her about the Kennel vandalism... She said that "well I guess someone else doesn't like your kennel". I really do not recall the entire conversation, however, I was nice... until I had an anxiety attack and left.... I called the Sheriff about the continual problems we have had, and they went to talk to her. Later she came back out while I was in the yard and just stared at me....

(Let me point out that her husband has also verbally abused me by calling me a bitch, redneck, stupid, and other things... this has occurred in the past.... This neighbor wife has also has called on the phone accusing me a a running water on their property... I had a soaker hose with the new hedges that I planted and it was not flooding her yard, but I turned it off.)..

Obviously moving would be an easy out but I would prefer not moving..... and the easy thing to do is just ignore them, but that does not solve the problem with protecting my children.

Can I file anything like a restraining order? How about my recourse for getting a fence or some protection along the busy road to the rear of our property (without blowing my bank account again)? I feel threatened by them and fear that they may do more than verbally harass us.

Also, do our children have any rights to make their backyard a safe environment since we have tried and our HOA and neighbors will not listen?

I am open for help and would be happy to fill in any blanks that I left out..... you can email me directly at [email protected]

Thanks!

Last edited:

ENASNI

Okay

I am a going to ask for a briefer synopses but for some reason... not sure thats gonna happen.

Can ya nibble it down a bit pardner?

Last edited:
S

seniorjudge

K9Protector said:
Only the two on this site... Wasn't sure if this was a Civic Rights question or a Real Estate Law Question? New to Site and posted in both areas.

They are identical though.. the one post is https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?p=869058#post869058 and the other is https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=224653

hope this helps

Thanks
Please post your question in only one forum; that just drives some of these people here nuts when you double post...usually it's me....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">