• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HOA Please HELP!!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rhonda Holley

What is the name of your state? UT

We rented a house in an HOA last March, and before we signed the lease we specifically asked the leasing agent if the house was in an HOA--because my husband drives a field service truck. The agent told us that the house was not in an HOA. A couple of months after we moved in (btw-we were new to UT) a man came to our house and told us (1) we are not allowed to mow our lawn on Sunday; and (2) my husband cannot park his truck in the neighborhood. (that was on Sunday)

The following day I went to the Management Office and they told us they would check on it for us. Meanwhile, this HOA Board Member continued to harrass us. I simply told him that our Management Office was checking on things for us. The harrassment then turned "ugly" as this man would stop by EVERY day within minutes of my husband arriving home from work.

I finally got an answer from our Management Office--they told us to park the truck in our driveway.

Last week we noticed the driveway has become badly cracked (the house is 2 years old) so I called the HOA Management office. The agent who handles this HOA told me that technically the HOA cannot do anything because the streets are City Streets BUT she preferred my husband park the truck in the driveway.

Tonight the same Board Member drove by (like he does EVERY night) and slammed on his brakes when he saw us outside talking to our company who had stopped by. He started yelling and then begging my husband to come out in the street--he continued to threaten my husband. I told him to go threaten everyone else out here who has trucks (semi's, campers, trailers, etc.) and threaten them but he simply peeled out and u-turned to go back to his house.

In case you don't know, we live is Morman Country and we are Southern Baptist...we have never done anything to offend our neighbors--they don't really have anything to do with us since we are not "of the faith"...

I need to know if we have any rights!!!!

Please help!!!!!

Rhonda Holley

Thank you, and we will. But what would you suggest we do regarding the issue of parking??? We have a meeting wtih the HOA Manager & the Management Office tomorrow morning. Need advice.

BTW--we are in lease through April 2009

FarmerJ

If there is a written restriction on parking that is tied to the title of the unit you rent and your LL didnt include it in your lease this problem can be settled by your LL allowing you out of the lease with zero penalty to you. If your using the unit as your lease allows but the owner didnt address parking restrictions its too bad for him/her they cannot change any terms of the lease unless the lease allows them to do so. SO the only choice they would have is to let you out of your lease and give you back your deposit the same day they sign the termination agreement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">