• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HOA Problems Albany, OR

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jheen

What is the name of your state? Oregon

I have a question about suing an HOA or dealing with an HOA that is out of control. Is there much success in suing HOA's? Mine is out of control, sending letters out to everybody about the littlest offenses. I recently received one because I have a window air conditioner that I put in for the summer months as I am not able to afford central air. I received a notice saying it was not approved by the Architectural Review Comittee and I needed to submit an application. So I did. It came back as denied. First off, it is not a modification to the exterior of the home. There is nothing in the bylaws that states a window mount air conditioner is not allowed. I also made every attempt to make it blend in as much as possible. The opening above it is blocked off with plywood cut to fit and painted the exact same color as the house. It is a small one room AC unit. What can I do to fight this BS from the board? I am going to attend the next meeting and have started talking to my neighbors who have the same complaints about the HOA. They are all getting petty letters, ie. garbage can not taken back from the curb within 12 hours.

I am thinking if they are going to deny me the ability to have a window mount AC unit, they should have to pay for the installation of a central air unit.

Last edited:

divgradcurl

Is there much success in suing HOA's?
Generally no. But you can always talk to a local attorney to see how the local courts deal with HOA's in your area.

What can I do to fight this BS from the board?
Try and get yourself elected to the board, or try to get like-minded individuals elected to the board. Or move.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">