• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Holding fence contractor liable...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kratos7525

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in Idaho and recently was served papers over fence boundary lines. Our contractor tied our back fence onto neighbors corner post and now they are claiming we damaged and trespassed onto their property. The surveyors peg is about 2-3 inches from neighbors post and does in fact show that the post is strictly on their property. We were shock to receive this small claim since two months had passed since installation. We contacted our fence contractor to see if he could put in a second post. Well, he has left us with us high and dry after he stated he would come out and give us a bid for it. He has not contacted us at all and left us with no real direction on where to go from here. So, my question is can my contractor be held responsible for not following boundary lines? Or are we just in a sense screwed by this whole mess? Please, I already know we are in the wrong. I just need to know if we can hold our contractor responsible for not adhering to boundary line laws?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in Idaho and recently was served papers over fence boundary lines. Our contractor tied our back fence onto neighbors corner post and now they are claiming we damaged and trespassed onto their property. The surveyors peg is about 2-3 inches from neighbors post and does in fact show that the post is strictly on their property. We were shock to receive this small claim since two months had passed since installation. We contacted our fence contractor to see if he could put in a second post. Well, he has left us with us high and dry after he stated he would come out and give us a bid for it. He has not contacted us at all and left us with no real direction on where to go from here. So, my question is can my contractor be held responsible for not following boundary lines? Or are we just in a sense screwed by this whole mess? Please, I already know we are in the wrong. I just need to know if we can hold our contractor responsible for not adhering to boundary line laws?
No, it was not his responsibility, it was yours. Find and pay another contractor to fix your fence.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
The new thread wasn't necessary either. https://forum.freeadvice.com/neighbors-boundaries-108/being-sued-using-neighbors-corner-post-625691.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">