• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Home willed to me but 3 plots involved.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

davedavalan

Missouri
my father recently passed away and left the house I rented from him to my brother. My brother is signing the deed over to me. Here's the problem: There are 3 plots adjacent to each other. (my house, a store and a small piece in between the two. My dad owned all 3, and the previous owner owned all 3 plots plus one in back of all these 3 which is up for sale.). hopefully you can understand this layout.
Where the store property lines ends, it drops off a hill to the piece in the middle and then up a hill to my house. Surveyors were here last week and placed the property corners. The middle part comes over to what I thought was my property and includes where my dad installed the sewer drainage field for the house. I also have a above ground swimming pool on this middle section and a shed. The property line for this middle section also crosses over a concrete porch off my basement which houses the well pump to my house. The property stake in front of house actually angles towards the house to the stake in the back. During the 20 years I've lived here, there was no concerns, I guess because dad owned all of this. The store is commercial property. Also, on the other side of my house, the property line is 14 feet from fence put up from other owner of that property. My entire driveway is on the other guys property! Although this driveway was there when dad bought the house 20 years ago, and nothing has ever been said about it.(All of these owners have been friends for years) My brother is trying to get the middle section added to my plot. My question and or concern is, how could this have happened to begin with and can this middle section be added to my plot. One other thing, the store is actually on a different street as mine (corner lot). We live out in the country as well. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. This seems so weird to me, as these 3 plots are so chopped up.

FarmerJ

As far as combining two lots to be come one parcel, yes that can be done, it should not be a huge hassle , just know once you have done it theres a chance it cannot be undone. As far as placements of things like wells, driveways, septics , who knows what they all were thinking when it came to not maintaining lot line markers or getting a survey done to make sure they had placed things on no one elses land. Soon as you get the chance HUGE flat rocks can be your friends , park them to become your new permanent lot markers (they will look nicer than pipe) Sorry to hear that your dad has passed, with his passing and the title changes its likely that any so called time clock for adverse possession has started over, so like with the driveway, its possible that you might just be able to get consent to continue to use it but Id say , if you could buy that strip that its on that would be better if your not able to re locate it. Your county / city should be able to tell you what must be done to combine two lots.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">