• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Homeowners association problem

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mpb329

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I am a homeowner/member of a non-stock domestic non-profit Michigan membership corporation and am being told by the Board of Directors that they have been told that some members do not wish to have their names and addresses available to other members. So the Board of Directors has told me I can not have access to the member list because it is protected by the Michigan privacy laws. The Michigan Corporate law clearly states that the member list must be made available for review by any member but the Board still refuses to provide me access. Is the "Michigan privacy law" argument valid?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I am a homeowner/member of a non-stock domestic non-profit Michigan membership corporation and am being told by the Board of Directors that they have been told that some members do not wish to have their names and addresses available to other members. So the Board of Directors has told me I can not have access to the member list because it is protected by the Michigan privacy laws. The Michigan Corporate law clearly states that the member list must be made available for review by any member but the Board still refuses to provide me access. Is the "Michigan privacy law" argument valid?
Why do you feel the need to have the names and addresses of other members?

mpb329

Why do you feel the need to have the names and addresses of other members?
First, the Michigan Corporate Law states that I have the right to that information so it isn't a matter of "need". I'm asking the question because the Board is denying me that right and I don't think they legally can.

But, since you asked...... I have issues with the way the organization is being run and I want to discuss my concerns with my fellow property owners/corporate members.

If you don't have an answer to my question then that's fine since I'd rather not have my question answered with a question.

Thanks for your response.

mike

quincy

First, the Michigan Corporate Law states that I have the right to that information so it isn't a matter of "need". I'm asking the question because the Board is denying me that right and I don't think they legally can.

But, since you asked...... I have issues with the way the organization is being run and I want to discuss my concerns with my fellow property owners/corporate members.

If you don't have an answer to my question then that's fine since I'd rather not have my question answered with a question.

Thanks for your response.

mike
First, it is important to treat the members of this forum with respect if you wish to have your questions addressed.

The question asked you by Zigner was not a random question. The question is the same one that you will now be required to answer if you want access to your corporation records. For that reason, you might want to start thinking about a good answer.

Governor Rick Synder made changes in the Michigan Nonprofit Corporation Act in January, 2015. Among these changes are ones that include what a shareholder or member must do in order to obtain information from the corporation.

Where once under the Michigan Nonprofit Corporation Act, the corporation was required on written demand to provide a requester with corporation records and shareholder/member lists within 10 days of the demand, now the requester must describe the nature and purpose of the request and specify the records to be inspected. Your purpose for inspecting the records must be a "proper" one, with proper purpose being defined as one that is "reasonably related to a person's interest as a shareholder or member."

Also now, a corporation may restrict access to corporation information on privacy grounds. The restrictions will be based on a corporation's "good faith" determination that providing the information could "impair the rights of privacy or the free association of the shareholders or members ..."

This is the new law.

With that said, you could still potentially compel production of the documents you want by obtaining a court order requiring their release.

FlyingRon

Of course, if you know the boundaries of your development, finding the members is probably pretty easy from public land records.

quincy

I should have added that, although corporations in Michigan can now choose to restrict access to their member or shareholder lists on privacy grounds, if they do decide not to release this information, they need to provide another way for members/shareholders to communicate with each other on matters that involve the corporation.

Short of a court order, though, I am not sure what else a corporation can suggest as a way to obtain a full list.

mpb329

First, it is important to treat the members of this forum with respect if you wish to have your questions addressed.

The question asked you by Zigner was not a random question. The question is the same one that you will now be required to answer if you want access to your corporation records. For that reason, you might want to start thinking about a good answer.

Governor Rick Synder made changes in the Michigan Nonprofit Corporation Act in January, 2015. Among these changes are ones that include what a shareholder or member must do in order to obtain information from the corporation.

Where once under the Michigan Nonprofit Corporation Act, the corporation was required on written demand to provide a requester with corporation records and shareholder/member lists within 10 days of the demand, now the requester must describe the nature and purpose of the request and specify the records to be inspected. Your purpose for inspecting the records must be a "proper" one, with proper purpose being defined as one that is "reasonably related to a person's interest as a shareholder or member."

Also now, a corporation may restrict access to corporation information on privacy grounds. The restrictions will be based on a corporation's "good faith" determination that providing the information could "impair the rights of privacy or the free association of the shareholders or members ..."

This is the new law.

With that said, you could still potentially compel production of the documents you want by obtaining a court order requiring their release.

Please accept my apologies for offending anyone as that certainly was not my intentions. I bought my property a little over a year ago and so I'm only now just finding out how this "HOA" thing works. I feel that I have done my homework and was just hoping for an answer. Being an engineer**************.. "just the facts ma'am"... lol

Also, please excuse the lengthy reply below. It seems that you have a good understanding of this law and I'm hopeful, that with your help, I may be able to resolve this and accomplish my goal of making the organization more responsive to the needs of it's members and myself.

I have read the law and saw the section that requires a written request, a legitimate reason for my request and sets a time limit for access. I believe my reasons for gaining access are valid.

As I wrote earlier and without getting into the details, there are things that the Board of Directors are doing that are not consistent with the best interests of the organization and I simple want to make the other members aware of this and get their opinion about what we should do. Additionally, since these homes are primarily vacation properties, there typically are only 6 or 7 of the homeowners at the annual meeting and of those, the majority are members of the Board of Directors (we have had the same president and treasurer for about 10 years).

I have made a written request to the Board referencing the law but my request continues to be refused. Thus the effort I'm now making to better understand my vs the other member's rights. I absolutely do not want to "invade anyone's privacy", most of all my neighbors.

Here's what I have found so far:

450.2487 Mailing balance sheet and statements to shareholder or member upon request; inspection during regular business hours; written demand; "proper purpose" defined; order compelling inspection; burden of proof; powers of court; inspection by director; costs; holder of voting trust certificate as shareholder or member; right to inspect prohibited or limited; definitions.

(3) If a corporation does not permit an inspection required under subsection (2) within 5 business days after a demand is received under subsection (2), or imposes unreasonable conditions on the inspection, the shareholder or member may apply to the circuit court for the county in which the principal place of business or registered office of the corporation is located for an order to compel the inspection.

(8) A corporation that limits inspection of lists of its shareholders or members under subsection (7) shall provide a reasonable way for shareholders or members to communicate with all other shareholders or members concerning the election of directors and other affairs of the corporation. A corporation described in this subsection may require a shareholder or member that wishes to communicate with other shareholders or members under this subsection to pay the reasonable costs to cover the cost of labor and materials and third-party charges incurred by the corporation in doing so.

So this is the basis for thinking I have the right to this information.

Based on************** "shall provide a reasonable way for shareholders or members to communicate with all other shareholders or members concerning the election of directors and other affairs of the corporation" do I in fact have to provide a "proper purpose"? OR, can the "proper purpose" simply be that I wish to "communicate with all other......"?

If I must (provide a "proper purpose") then it appears that there are 2 issues: first, the validity of my request and secondly, who determines if my request is valid. I'm assuming that would be the circuit court.

Do you have any information regarding the process to "apply to the circuit court"?

At this point, the Board member I am dealing with, obviously doesn't think my request is valid, so I must either convince her or ask the circuit court to determine the validity or as has been suggested, get the information from the public records which in fact, I have begun.

The information you have provided regarding the changes made by Governor Synder and your additional comments has been extremely helpful and with that in mind I will go back and research the law further.

Once again, my apologizes for offending anyone and thank you for your patience and understanding regarding this issue.

mike

quincy

... As I wrote earlier and without getting into the details, there are things that the Board of Directors are doing that are not consistent with the best interests of the organization and I simple want to make the other members aware of this and get their opinion about what we should do. ...

... the shareholder or member may apply to the circuit court for the county in which the principal place of business or registered office of the corporation is located for an order to compel the inspection.

... If I must (provide a "proper purpose") then it appears that there are 2 issues: first, the validity of my request and secondly, who determines if my request is valid. I'm assuming that would be the circuit court. ...
It will ultimately be up to the circuit court to determine if "wanting the opinions of other members" is a proper enough purpose to compel the corporation to release the names and contact information of members who have said they want their privacy guarded or who, under the new law, may be entitled to privacy. The corporation apparently does not believe your stated purpose is reason enough to invade the privacy of its members/shareholders.

Presenting your concerns at the annual meeting may be a way to have your concerns conveyed to all members/shareholders and also a way to avoid a circuit court action.

mpb329

It will ultimately be up to the circuit court to determine if "wanting the opinions of other members" is a proper enough purpose to compel the corporation to release the names and contact information of members who have said they want their privacy guarded or who, under the new law, may be entitled to privacy. The corporation apparently does not believe your stated purpose is reason enough to invade the privacy of its members/shareholders.

Presenting your concerns at the annual meeting may be a way to have your concerns conveyed to all members/shareholders and also a way to avoid a circuit court action.

Thanks for your response. Presenting my concerns at the annual meeting is not effective. I have tried only to find that nothing is done. If I make a motion and am able to get a second, it can be voted down by the Board members since they are the majority at the meeting (one of the issues I have).

I have sent emails to the President and Vice President with no response. The minutes of the meeting is recorded and then transcribed and edited to be distributed a week prior to the next annual meeting so a year goes by with no one knowing what happened at the meeting (another issue).

Additionally, it is the individual Board Member that I have been talking to that has determined that the member information is to be limited. There is nothing in the articles of incorporation, the bylaws, or a resolution of the board of directors that state that members do not have the right to inspect the corporation's lists of shareholder or members.

This experience is precisely why I feel the need to contact the other members.

Perhaps "wanting the opinions of other members" is the wrong way to express the "proper enough purpose".

Would you give me your opinion on this section of the code that states:
"(8) A corporation that limits inspection of lists of its shareholders or members under subsection (7) shall provide a reasonable way for shareholders or members to communicate with all other shareholders or members concerning the election of directors and other affairs of the corporation."

My point here is that first, there is nothing I can find that states that this information is to be limited as defined in paragraph (7) of the code and even if there were, don't I have the right to be provided with a "reasonable way".... and so should my "proper enough purpose" be "concerning the election of directors and other affairs of the corporation"?

I'm not trying to drag this out but I am a dues paying member/property owner being held to the rules and regulations of this corporation and I believe I have the right to attempt to communicate with my fellow members/property owners concerning the way it is being run and the effect it has on my property while respecting the privacy of those members that want it.

If any member is not comfortable talking to me then all they have to do is tell me and I won't contact them again.

As I stated earlier, I am certainly not trying to "invade" anyone's privacy. These are my neighbors for Pete's sake. I'm not some telemarketer trying to sell them new windows (sorry, just venting a little), I'm just trying to make things better.

Thanks again for your help.

mike

quincy

mpb329

I like Zigner's suggestion. That is a good way to become part of the solution to the problems you are experiencing.

Here is a link to the law, which includes the process for obtaining the information you seek. You may find you have to head to court if the corporation remains reluctant to release the corporation membership/shareholder list:

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(irdhuof4qsvvi0pdshudyaxs))/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-450-2487

Good luck.
I agree, Zigner's suggestion makes a lot of sense. Not sure how that works and I do have a concern that the current Board members may have a way to block me but I will try. Thanks Zigner.

I have the link and have read much of the law. It's where I got the information I have put here.

Do you know if the process, i.e. forms, contacts, requests information to proceed to court are contained in the law?
If not, do you have any suggestions on how I would proceed?

Are you willing to comment on my request for your opinion I asked for in my last post?

Thanks to you both.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">