• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Horrible Neighbor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JAR304

What is the name of your state? Michigan

Firstly, forgive me if I am posting this in the wrong area, but it seems the best choice for my question.

A good friend of mine lives in an apartment with two small children. She has an across the hall neighbor that is undesirable to say the least. He plays his music so loud at night, the walls vibrate. He has a dog and filthy apartment with a smell that reaches the hallway. He has harrassed her on several occasions. She has filed numerous complaints with the leasing office, and has had the police pay him a visit no less than 4 times. Once was for beating his girlfriend. He will behave for a week or so and then it's back to the same nonsense.

Anyway, I was just curious what her options are. The most obvious is for her to move, but she is getting a home in a year and doesn't want to move twice. Why hasn't this guy been evicted? Is this simply a case of an apathetic leasing office or are there legal reasons he has not been asked to move out? Any help would be appreciated.

W

wannaman55

JAR304 said:

Firstly, forgive me if I am posting this in the wrong area, but it seems the best choice for my question.

A good friend of mine lives in an apartment with two small children. She has an across the hall neighbor that is undesirable to say the least. He plays his music so loud at night, the walls vibrate. He has a dog and filthy apartment with a smell that reaches the hallway. He has harrassed her on several occasions. She has filed numerous complaints with the leasing office, and has had the police pay him a visit no less than 4 times. Once was for beating his girlfriend. He will behave for a week or so and then it's back to the same nonsense.

Anyway, I was just curious what her options are. The most obvious is for her to move, but she is getting a home in a year and doesn't want to move twice. Why hasn't this guy been evicted? Is this simply a case of an apathetic leasing office or are there legal reasons he has not been asked to move out? Any help would be appreciated.

:eek: Whatever you do don't run him over with your car. I accidently ran over my elderly neighbor last week and then he intentionally ran over me. We are currently in litigations.

ENASNI

JAR304 said:

Tell your friend to keep filing complaints with the leasing office, in writing. If possible try to get the name of the owner of the property. I am pretty sure if enough complaints are made they have to do something, I do not think this sounds like a desirable tenant. :eek:

If he is paying rent on time then they can give him a 3 day to quit for disturbing the quiet enjoyment of the community. Look on your lease/rental agreement for some kind of clause like that and give the leasing office a hint as to what they may do. (nicely, people do not like to be told how to do their jobs) :)

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/mileg.asp?page=getObject&objName=mcl-Act-454-of-1978&highlight=

554.635 Notices.
Sec. 5.

(1) A lessor may cure a violation of section 3** by giving written notice to all tenants who are currently parties, with the lessor, to a rental agreement which contains a prohibited provision. The notice shall state that the provision is void and unenforceable or alter the provision to bring it into compliance with this act.

(2) A lessor may cure a violation of section 4 by giving written notice to all tenants who are currently parties, with the lessor, to a rental agreement which does not include a required statement. The notice shall set forth the statement as provided in section 4.

(3) Notices under this section may be given personally or sent by first class or certified mail to the tenant at the address of the leased premises.

History: 1978, Act 454, Eff. July 1, 1979

** section 3
554.633 Rental agreement; prohibited provisions or clauses; violation.

Sec. 3.

(l)
(ii) ... rules relating to the property that are required to protect the physical health, safety, or peaceful enjoyment of tenants and guests.

Sorry I sound like a blow-hard, but I hope this helps, Tell your friend Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">