• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hosting Belligerent Homeless Man's Trailer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Liz1965

I live in Massachusetts, and have been friends with my next door neighbors for the 10 years I've owned my house. Last year, because of our long friendship, I agreed to their request to temporarily host their homeless friend's trailer on their side of our joint gravel driveway. This is one short, narrow driveway, of which we both own half, and it is my only access from the street to the steps to my house. We're not sure where the exact property line is, but I can guestimate within a few inches. The trailer turned out to be quite large, and if it isn't partially covering my property, then he at least needs to use my side of the driveway in order to access his vehicle.

At first, he seemed very grateful to have a safe place to fix up his trailer engine so that he could move to a warmer climate, but now it seems like he's planning to stay for good. Within the past few weeks, he has begun to refer to the ground surrounding his trailer as "my property," and has started to spread out. Without my permission, I discovered that while I'm at work, he had been tying his two dogs to a tree in my yard, allowing them access to the one walkway that leads to my steps. My grass was turning yellow in patches, and then I stepped into a pile of feces. I requested that he not tie his dogs on my property; explaining that being pregnant, I must avoid outdoor animal feces which could cause birth defects. He finally did move them, but not without a heated argument. He then refused to move his trailer, claiming that it "didn't run" when I had a work crew digging up my driveway trying to install a new septic and water system. On top of that, one evening I found him helping himself to a pile of gravel that the workmen had left behind for use the next day. When I asked him to stop taking it, he refused, and continued to shovel out the pile in order to improve "his" driveway. Last weekend, he left a bucket filled with human feces next to my car for two days during the hot, muggy weather (on "his" property, of course.) When I attempted to discuss the situation with my neighbor and pointed out the bucket of feces, she told me that she didn't have a problem with this, turned her back on me and went into her house. The matter is clearly not up for discussion.

I have never agreed to host a permanent residence for him, and now after he has resided here for a year and a half, he has become a nuisance and even a hazard. He seems a bit unhinged, and I want him out of my driveway. My neighbors do not have another convenient space for him elsewhere on their property, and I'm sure they won't acquiesce without a fight. They and their guest are very popular in our close-knit town, and I don't want to look like the bad guy kicking out the poor homeless veteran. I'm also concerned about some sort of retaliation, though I don't know for sure if he would actually do this. I can't afford a lawyer at the moment. What should I do?

panzertanker

Liz1965 said:
I live in Massachusetts, and have been friends with my next door neighbors for the 10 years I've owned my house. Last year, because of our long friendship, I agreed to their request to temporarily host their homeless friend's trailer on their side of our joint gravel driveway. This is one short, narrow driveway, of which we both own half, and it is my only access from the street to the steps to my house. We're not sure where the exact property line is, but I can guestimate within a few inches. The trailer turned out to be quite large, and if it isn't partially covering my property, then he at least needs to use my side of the driveway in order to access his vehicle.

At first, he seemed very grateful to have a safe place to fix up his trailer engine so that he could move to a warmer climate, but now it seems like he's planning to stay for good. Within the past few weeks, he has begun to refer to the ground surrounding his trailer as "my property," and has started to spread out. Without my permission, I discovered that while I'm at work, he had been tying his two dogs to a tree in my yard, allowing them access to the one walkway that leads to my steps. My grass was turning yellow in patches, and then I stepped into a pile of feces. I requested that he not tie his dogs on my property; explaining that being pregnant, I must avoid outdoor animal feces which could cause birth defects. He finally did move them, but not without a heated argument. He then refused to move his trailer, claiming that it "didn't run" when I had a work crew digging up my driveway trying to install a new septic and water system. On top of that, one evening I found him helping himself to a pile of gravel that the workmen had left behind for use the next day. When I asked him to stop taking it, he refused, and continued to shovel out the pile in order to improve "his" driveway. Last weekend, he left a bucket filled with human feces next to my car for two days during the hot, muggy weather (on "his" property, of course.) When I attempted to discuss the situation with my neighbor and pointed out the bucket of feces, she told me that she didn't have a problem with this, turned her back on me and went into her house. The matter is clearly not up for discussion.

I have never agreed to host a permanent residence for him, and now after he has resided here for a year and a half, he has become a nuisance and even a hazard. He seems a bit unhinged, and I want him out of my driveway. My neighbors do not have another convenient space for him elsewhere on their property, and I'm sure they won't acquiesce without a fight. They and their guest are very popular in our close-knit town, and I don't want to look like the bad guy kicking out the poor homeless veteran. I'm also concerned about some sort of retaliation, though I don't know for sure if he would actually do this. I can't afford a lawyer at the moment. What should I do?
I am not a lawyer...

Pictures will probably help you.
No trespassing signs.
A call to the police for trespassing might help you.
I would think that a lawyer would be to your benefit.

Seems no matter what you do, you will be the "bad guy" when you get rid of him.

Good luck.

Warped

I'm not a lawyer!

From the situation you describe your neighbor of 10 years isn't being a great neighbor so why in God's name should you be a good neighbor? Call the city/county and advise them that a man is living in a motor home parked partially on your property, he craps in a bucket, steals from you, destroys your property and you want him gone.

The city may have an ordinance regarding parking motor homes on residential lots for the purpose of creating an additional residence. Tell them they are losing property tax income. Another thought is to call the health department. He obviously has no permanent source of water (illegal in most areas) nor a permanent septic/sewer system thus making his motor home a health hazard. Tell the health department about the feces in a bucket.

I appreciate that you want to maintain the peace and that's admirable but, as Dear Abby used to say, "The only way people can treat you like a doormat is if you let them!" Best of luck to ya! :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">