• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

House Key Issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NvrEndingLife82

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Not sure where to post this, but thought this might be the most appropriate forum.

I live in an apartment. My little one's father has a key to my place. I used to have one to his, as well, but he recently asked for it back. I asked for his key to my place back today, and he refused. He claims he does not have to because he is on the lease. He is ONLY on the lease because he is paying the rent (court ordered, in lieu of child support). He does not reside at my apartment.

He only asked for his key back, and I asked for my key back...because things between us have been tense lately. I have no idea why he wanted his key back, as I am never there when he is not home (and usually only when we are switching who has the little one). But because it was his key, I gave it back, no questions or issues. I asked for mine back because he had asked for his back.

Can he legally keep the key because he is on the lease? Even if he is on the lease only because he is was court ordered to pay the rent instead of paying straight out child support?

I am half tempted just to go out, buy new locks for the doors, and replace them...and give a key to the landlord.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Not sure where to post this, but thought this might be the most appropriate forum.

I live in an apartment. My little one's father has a key to my place. I used to have one to his, as well, but he recently asked for it back. I asked for his key to my place back today, and he refused. He claims he does not have to because he is on the lease. He is ONLY on the lease because he is paying the rent (court ordered, in lieu of child support). He does not reside at my apartment.

He only asked for his key back, and I asked for my key back...because things between us have been tense lately. I have no idea why he wanted his key back, as I am never there when he is not home (and usually only when we are switching who has the little one). But because it was his key, I gave it back, no questions or issues. I asked for mine back because he had asked for his back.

Can he legally keep the key because he is on the lease? Even if he is on the lease only because he is was court ordered to pay the rent instead of paying straight out child support?

I am half tempted just to go out, buy new locks for the doors, and replace them...and give a key to the landlord.
That would be between you and your landlord. Although I don't understand why he needs to be on the lease just because he is court ordered to pay the rent in lieu of child support.

OHRoadwarrior

The act of returning a key is generally a meaningless gesture, unless the locks and keys are commercially registered for non duplication.

NvrEndingLife82

That would be between you and your landlord. Although I don't understand why he needs to be on the lease just because he is court ordered to pay the rent in lieu of child support.
It was my lawyer's idea, as the father does not always follow through unless something is in writing. The lawyer said if he was on the lease, the landlord could go after him if he fails to pay, versus me having to pursue him in court to get the money back from him.

NvrEndingLife82

The act of returning a key is generally a meaningless gesture, unless the locks and keys are commercially registered for non duplication.
That was my thought...which is why I said I was tempted to just change the locks. I know there is nothing stopping him from making a copy of his copy of the key and then just giving me one back to make me happy.

I guess that is kind of where the question of "Does he have to have a key if he is on the lease" comes in. :)

NvrEndingLife82

I noticed you said "locks". If there is a deadbolt also, perhaps changing one and leaving one is a solution.
Yep...locks. There are 3 "sets" of locks. Front door, back door, garage door (going from garage to inside). Each door has a deadbolt and the lock in the door handle. The current key opens the deadbolt lock and the door handle lock in all three doors. I priced locks while I was out grocery shopping. Just doing the deadbolts was something I was thinking about. :) I will probably do that sometime this week.

Last edited:

OHRoadwarrior

Yep...locks. There are 3 "sets" of locks. Front door, back door, garage door (going from garage to inside). Each door has a deadbolt and the lock in the door handle. The current key opens the deadbolt lock and the door handle lock in all three doors. I priced locks while I was out grocery shopping. Just doing the deadbolts was something I was thinking about. :) I will probably do that sometime this week.
There is a certain lock company, with locks sold at certain hardware/home stores that have re-keyable locksets in them. You simply take any key that fits that type of lock, insert a widget tool supplied and you can rekey your own locks. I collect keys that fit that lock, so I can rekey whenever I choose.

NvrEndingLife82

There is a certain lock company, with locks sold at certain hardware/home stores that have re-keyable locksets in them. You simply take any key that fits that type of lock, insert a widget tool supplied and you can rekey your own locks. I collect keys that fit that lock, so I can rekey whenever I choose.
Would you happen to know which brand of locks this is? If I have them, I may look into that, instead. I could only find lock sets of 2 (meaning the items for 2 doors), none for 3. And just the lock set with 2 was about $40. Which is why I was thinking about doing just the deadbolts, but even those were about $10-$12...and they only came with 1...not 2 or 3. So, every door would need a different key. That would just confuse me. Lol.

bdancer

Do not just go out and buy new locks. FIRST, check with your landlord and get written permission to change the locks. The landlord may even have a locksmith that will rekey the locks.

It may actually be cheaper to have a locksmith come out and rekey all the locks than trying to purchase new locks. You can buy sets of locks keyed alike, but getting 3 sets of deadbolts and knob locks all keyed alike will be difficult. A locksmith will charge a flat rate service call fee and then so much per lock.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">