+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    krs1803 is offline Junior Member

How can I keep my neighbors off my property?

What is the name of your state? Iowa

We live in a beautiful neighborhood with big houses but pretty small yards. We are located less than 3 blocks from a school/park. Our problem is that the neighbor behind us has a couple of boys that like to have lots of kids over to play sports and they are often in our yard. Not really a big deal until baseball season when play spans five yards and tennis balls constantly smash off my windows and wind up on my deck. The boys climb the stairs of my deck to retrieve the balls and my dog goes nuts and tears up the screens and woodwork. We also get balls in the gutters that cause ice dams in the winter. Last summer my husband got so fed up he cut up one of their balls and gave it back to the boys (not a great idea) causing the father to come over and violently threaten us. We filed a police report. This year they are back at it again. When I went out to tell them to stay off, I got the father again to tell me that they are entitled and I am out of line asking them to stay on their own property.

Am I out of line? If one of these boys gets hurt climbing my deck, aren't I liable? Are they really violating a law by doing what they are doing or are they just being rude? Is there any legal way I can make it crystal clear to stay off my deck?
    longsally111 is offline Member
    Put up a fence, place a no trespassing sign on it. If they enter into your yard, call the police and file a trespassing report and explain that you will NOT be liable for damages or injuries incurred by them while they trespass. That should take care of the problem. On a side note, what your husband did was VERY mean and cruel and if I were married to him, I would have given him a good swift kick!!!!!! I also would have bought a new ball to replace that one, given it to the kid with my apologies.
    VeronicaLodge is offline Senior Member
    fence********************************************************.
    krs1803 is offline Junior Member
    Ok, two replys already. Much appreciated. And the answer seems to be a fence. I'm curious why I have to incur the cost and obstruct my beautiful view of the woods behind us when I'm the one having my property violated? I know the kids would just climb over it anyway. Is that really the only answer? The neighbors are not doing anything illegal and can't be held accountable for their actions?
    HuAi is offline Member
    chain link or cast iron fence will not obstruct your view
    tranquility is offline Senior Member
    Trespassing is against the law. Any cop who came out and arrested a kid for retreiving a ball in a neighbor's yard shouldn't be a cop. Litigation is too expensive for such a minor problem and would entail risk to you for abuse of process.

In the olden days, my parents were told when I did something wrong. I'd get in trouble. Problem solved. If you cannot come up with a similar solution, it's probably because either you or the neighbor is a real tool. If so, that's why you'd need to put up a fence.
    154NH773 is offline Member
    Rather than litigate, it would probably be less expensive to buy each of the kids a video game. You'd never see them outside again, and it would get even with their parents.

Seriously, you should try and come to a resolution with the PARENTS on the problems you are having. Private property is just that, private, and you should not have to put up with an annoyance from trespassers. Kids will be kids, and they may be purposely annoying you. Although you may have to resort to legal means, see if you can't resolve it in a friendly manner first.
    FrankJr is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krs1803 View Post
    When I went out to tell them to stay off, I got the father again to tell me that they are entitled
    Yeah, and as soon as his kid gets hurt on your property he'll want you to pay ALL of the medical expenses. They are NOT entitled! From what I gain of the description of your neighborhood, it is a priviledge and you have every right to ask others to not trepass on your property.
    LindaP777 is offline Senior Member
    Find out if electric fences are legal in your area!
    vikkid500 is offline Junior Member
    Believe me, a fence will not work either. I spent the money and put up a fence. And I asked my neighbors on numerous occassion to please stop having their company and parties on my property. It did not work. I came home from a work function one Saturday night around 10:00pm and found over 30 children in my back yard and front yard. On my deck and in my flower gardens. And all the adults were in my neighbors yard. How is that, for complete ignorance????????????????
    ErinGoBragh is offline Senior Member
    As Linda said, are electric fences legal? What about a masterlock and some nice barbed wire at the top of the fence (again, if legally allowed)? Or no trespassing signs, and calling the police?

Personally I like the barbed wire a lot, it's an easy modification to make if there is an existing fence.
    FrankJr is offline Member
    Put a sign on your fence with the word "Quarantine" on it.
    HuAi is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikkid500 View Post
    Believe me, a fence will not work either. I spent the money and put up a fence. And I asked my neighbors on numerous occassion to please stop having their company and parties on my property. It did not work. I came home from a work function one Saturday night around 10:00pm and found over 30 children in my back yard and front yard. On my deck and in my flower gardens. And all the adults were in my neighbors yard. How is that, for complete ignorance????????????????
    Did they all jump the fence?
    Ozark_Sophist is offline Senior Member
    My house sits over the edge of a pond (entirely on my property). I got off work at 5am. Found a 12-14' flat bottom boat in my pond (lawn chairs, battery, trolling motor, lures, etc). Dragged that sucker out of the pond, up over the dam, and rolled it over and over until in my neighbor's front yard. Tossed the rest of the crap in the yard.

No more boats ever showed up in my pond.

Fence and post. A short spaced picket fence would enhance the view.
    vikkid500 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HuAi View Post
    Did they all jump the fence?

The neighbors just opened the gate and let their party in my yard!!!