• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do you read this statement....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mitchelt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CO

Our neighborhood Covenants state the following:

Except as may otherwise be permitted by the Architectural Review Committee, no exterior radio antenna, television antenna, or other antenna, satellite dish, or audio or visual reception device of any type shall be placed, erected or maintained on the Properties, except inside a residence or otherwise concealed from view; provided, however, that any such devices may be erected or installed by the Declarant during its sales or construction within the Properties.

The way I read this is that if the Architectural Review Committee grants someone permission to install a security camera then the rest of the paragraph does not apply and the rules were followed and none were broken.

How do you read it?

FarmerJ

Whole thing sounds pretty clear to me but you know FCC has already written rules pertaining to satelite dishes. Have you sought consent to install a camera or other antenna or is this about a sat dish ?

Last edited:

154NH773

The way I read this is that if the Architectural Review Committee grants someone permission to install a security camera then the rest of the paragraph does not apply and the rules were followed and none were broken.
I read it the same way you do, although you may have to prove that such permission was actually granted.

mitchelt

Thanks for responses.

If the person who is complaining wants to see the approval letter, we would gladly show it to them.

I'm so glad we have "good" neighbors. ;-)

mitchelt

That's the only paragraph that even remotely has anything to do with cameras, but I agree...a camera is not a transmission device.

Either way, they did receive permission with very strict guidelines as to were to place the cameras.

You Are Guilty

That's the only paragraph that even remotely has anything to do with cameras, but I agree...a camera is not a transmission device.
How is a video camera not a "or audio or visual reception device of any type"? (Where is the "transmission" language coming from?)

Ozark_Sophist

In the context of the paragraph, a camera is not a visual reception device. A reception devices receives signals and does not create them.

154NH773

In the context of the paragraph, a camera is not a visual reception device. A reception devices receives signals and does not create them.
I would disagree. A camera receives visual "signals". There is no other device that can receive a visual signal. A camera is a reception device for "visual" photons.

An audio reception device would be a microphone; it receives sound waves.

All other electronic signal reception device types are listed as
radio antenna, television antenna, or other antenna, satellite dish
If I am wrong, which is possible, then there would be no prohibition against cameras, as they are not otherwise listed in the restrictions.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">