• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to protect my sunlight and view!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

manderson

What is the name of your state? California. I'm in San Francisco.

I am currently in contract to buy a 2 unit building with a friend of mine. Our own negotiations have brought it that we will be splitting it 50/50. He would get the top, and larger unit, I would get the bottom.

We both have fantastic city and sky views - each of us has a window of walls so to speak. The sunlight comes in through these windows, and is a major source of light for my lower unit.

We are discussing the options of each of us builiding our own private decks. But I'm thinking that any construction on his unit may get in the way of my sunlight, and views of the sky.

I am trying to find out a way to put a restriction in our CCR contract that would bind him against builidng a deck in such a way that would block my sunlight. In time, if I can afford to extend my unit outwards, I would be happy to allow him to build a deck.

Until then, how do I protect my unit?

https://forum.freeadvice.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=108#

Thanks!!!

manderson

problem solved!

Just thought I'd let you know i had no legal recourse/leg to stand on.....so I opted for the good old negotiating charm....putting it in the contract, and all is good!!

HomeGuru

manderson said:
Just thought I'd let you know i had no legal recourse/leg to stand on.....so I opted for the good old negotiating charm....putting it in the contract, and all is good!!
**A: the restrictions need to be recorded on title so it runs with the land.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">