• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to remain good neighbors despite property line dispute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GoSamaritan

:rolleyes:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
We are in Los Angeles County, California.
I have my house for the last 12 years and my neighbor for 11 years, and both houses are on the hills sloping to the South. I recently removed some of the trees and trimmed the trees in my property along the fences in the property line. I reduced all trees along the fence line to the peak of the fence hight. To my surprise, I have noticed that my property line crooked from the middle of the property line to the South end, which looks like a pizza or pie cut from the middle. Mine and my neighbor's property sizes are same as 50' wide and 140' long. I talked to my neighbor that South end of the property line may be about 2' encroached to my property from the middle of the fences. He said it may be a couple of inches but asked me not to make it big because it is in the back yards. He is an architect and myself is a real estate broker. He repaired the part of fences in question (from the middle to the end) two years ago while there were trees and bushes I recently trimmed. He said he repaired the fences along the previous property lines as they existed previously. He is building the duplex in the back yard and it is almost completed as he installed the electricity, gas and concreted his drive way and his side way along with the fence line in question. May I visit to the Building and Safety department of the LA County to stop issuing occupancy permit? Should I/we hire a surveyor? What is my right and what is the best way to do to remain good neighbors?

Last edited:

154NH773

A fence does not necessarly make a property line. You must get a survey to determine if your neighbor is encroaching.

It is not clear from your post what you are complaining about. Are you claiming that his duplex is on your property?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">