• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Icy/ snow Sidewalk

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CT resident

Connecticut.

There are a few sidewalks that are not shovelled or are very icy. I have complained to the police Dept 3 times and City Hall. My daughter fell on one of the icy sidewalks twice. Who can I complain to to make these property owners clear there sidewalks and make them safe?

Antigone*

Connecticut.

There are a few sidewalks that are not shovelled or are very icy. I have complained to the police Dept 3 times and City Hall. My daughter fell on one of the icy sidewalks twice. Who can I complain to to make these property owners clear there sidewalks and make them safe?
I wasn't aware that property owners owned the sidewalks.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Connecticut.

I'd start by complaining to the creator of the snowy/icy conditions...

nextwife

The problem in some cities is that there are properties where the owners have died, gwalked away or gone into nursing homes, and either their adult deadbeat kids are living there (no probate) or there is not enough value for the bank to foreclose, so they wrote off their loan, rather than incur foreclosure costs, maybe years of delinquent taxes, code compliance fines against the owner, etc. So, there are some homes that NOBODY owns. Someone may "own" it of record, but they are long gone..

FarmerJ

If your city has a defined ord granting x number of hours after a snow fall for public sidewalks in front of homes/ business to be cleaned up then they can tell you what it says as you push for someone to go out and cite the owners. If your city doesnt have a ord addressing snow /ice removal on public use sidewalks. then there isnt much more you can do other than encouraging your child to stay off them. At this point your child has fallen , reasonable steps to prevent further injury are for child to stay off them. (yes walking in the street against the flow of traffic may be safer )

W

Willlyjo

I certainly had to pay for mine. I was required to keep them clean also.
I agree with you! I don't know about Connecticut, but in Iowa, where i'm originally from, property owners are liable if they don't have the public sidewalk in front of their property shoveled within a reasonable time after a snow fall. If someone slips and gets injured, the property owner can be sued for damages.

I would imagine it is that way in most places where it could snow. :)

W

Willlyjo

I wasn't aware that property owners owned the sidewalks.
Who said the property owners OWNED the sidewalks?

Generally, in many cities located where freezing weather exists, there are ordinances making property owners shovel the public sidewalk in front of their property in a reasonable fashion after a snowfall.

FarmerJ

Prosp LOL in our urbanized areas and burbs where there are sidewalks the larger majority of cities have enacted snow removal ords , Mpls , St paul, Duluth , Willmar mn gives 12 hours after snowfall ceases for public sidewalks to be cleared , suburban Eden Prairie mn once they come out and cite a property for failing to clear a public sidwalk of snow/ice 24 hours later they can have city crews go do it and bill the owner. St cloud mn gives 24 hours after snowfall stops for property owners with public sidewalks to clear them , town I get my mail from , pop 2,900 24 hours after snowfall ceases for those of us in rural twps where there are no public sidewalks then there is no worry about it :)~ since walkers around here just walk on the roads.

CT resident

This is what I found and there is an ordinance. But the police arent inforcing it. I called City Hall and was told that the police are the ones who handle this complaint. I dont want to see anyone get hurt falling.

As another winter season approaches, it is worthwhile for property owners and businesses to plan ahead for the inevitable snow and ice storms which will blanket our area. With each winter storm comes the potential for a person to slip and fall on ice or snow outside your or your insured’s business. While the duty to prevent an injury occurring on premises owned or controlled by a business is well known, the legal responsibility for snow and ice conditions on public sidewalks under Connecticut law is a bit murkier. In order to shed some light on the duty of a property owner or tenant, and discuss ways to minimize the adverse consequences of an accident, the following briefly reviews the potential liability businesses may face for accidents occurring due to snow and ice conditions on a public sidewalk abutting their property.

Connecticut Sidewalk Law

Generally, an abutting landowner is under no duty to keep public sidewalks in front of his or her property in a reasonably safe condition. Rather, the municipalities have the duty to maintain public sidewalks, and, under Conn. Gen. Stat. § 13a-149, they are liable for damages caused by a breach of that duty.

Section 13a-149 provides, inter alia:

Any person injured in person or property by means of a defective road[1] or bridge may recover damages from the party bound to keep it in repair. . . . No action for any such injury shall be maintained against any town, city, corporation or borough, unless written notice of such injury and a general description of the same, and of the cause thereof and of the time and place of its occurrence, shall, within ninety days thereafter be given to a selectman or the clerk of such town, or to the clerk of such city or borough, or to the secretary or treasurer of such corporation.

Although the responsibility to maintain public sidewalks is generally the responsibility of the municipalities, Connecticut courts recognize two exceptions to the general rule. The first exception is where a statute or ordinance shifts the duty to keep the sidewalk in a safe condition to the abutting landowner and provides that the abutting landowner will be liable for injuries caused by his or her failure to do so. The second exception applies where the unsafe condition of a public sidewalk was created by the abutting landowner’s positive acts. In cases involving snow and ice conditions, the first exception to the general rule often applies.

Duty of Private Landowners or Tenants

Connecticut has enacted legislation specifically permitting municipalities to adopt ordinances requiring owners, or those in possession of property (i.e. tenants), to remove snow and ice from sidewalks abutting the property and transferring liability for damages associated with snow and ice on sidewalks to the property owners or tenants. Connecticut General Statutes § 7-163a provides, in pertinent part:

(a) Any [municipality] may, by ordinance, adopt the provisions of this section.

(b) Notwithstanding the provisions of section 13a-149 or any other general statute or special act, such [municipality] shall not be liable to any person injured in person or property caused by the presence of ice or snow on a public sidewalk unless such municipality is the owner or person in possession and control of land abutting such sidewalk, . . . provided such municipality shall be liable for its affirmative acts with respect to such sidewalk.

(c) (1) The owner or person in possession and control of land abutting a public sidewalk shall have the same duty of care with respect to the presence of ice or snow on such sidewalk toward the portion of the sidewalk abutting his property as the municipality had prior to the effective date of any ordinance adopted pursuant to the provisions of this section and shall be liable to persons injured in person or property where a breach of said duty is the proximate cause of said injury.

Most municipalities in Connecticut have enacted ordinances adopting the provisions of Connecticut General Statutes § 7-163a. In cities and towns where such ordinances are enacted, a property owner or tenant can be held liable for not sufficiently clearing snow and ice from an abutting sidewalk within a reasonable time.

The duty of an abutting landowner in those municipalities which have adopted section 7-163a is to use reasonable care to keep the sidewalks in a reasonably safe condition from snow and ice. In order to recover for injuries sustained in a slip and fall on a sidewalk due to the presence of snow and ice, a plaintiff must prove that the defendant had either actual or constructive notice of the defective condition. Constructive notice is found when the snow and ice condition was present for a sufficient length of time, so that the defendant should have discovered it using reasonable care to inspect the sidewalk. Notably, the duty to use reasonable care takes into account the variety of conditions and circumstances that are created by the rigors of winter; thus, the responsible party may await the end of a storm and a reasonable time thereafter before removing ice and snow from the sidewalk. In defending against a claim of constructive notice, therefore, establishing when the specific icy condition was created is essential. A meteorological report may be useful to establish a recent fluctuation in temperature to show that the condition was sudden and that there was no reasonable time to discover it.

Further, an injured plaintiff must prove that after having notice of the claimed defect, and having had a reasonable opportunity to remedy the defect, the defendant failed to do so. In order to show that he or she acted reasonably, it is often important for a defendant to develop a sound justification for not taking immediate action to remedy the complained of condition, such as having to allocate available manpower to remedy other, more hazardous, conditions.

Finally, the plaintiff must also prove that the snow and ice condition was the only substantial factor causing the accident. If the accident occurred because plaintiff was not using reasonable care; that is, the degree of care that a reasonably prudent person would have used to avoid injury, the abutting landowner will not be liable for the accident. Often, a person will slip on ice or snow because they did not see it or because they were wearing inappropriate footwear for the winter conditions. When defending against a slip and fall claim, it is prudent to explore all the possible ways the plaintiff’s own conduct contributed to the incident.

In order to determine the extent of your obligations to remove snow and ice from an abutting public sidewalk, a review of the local town or city ordinances is necessary. To determine the applicability of Connecticut General Statutes § 7-163a in your area, and to discuss procedures that you can implement to minimize liability from accidents caused by snow and ice conditions, please contact Christopher Renzulli.

[1] The term “road” as used in the statute includes sidewalks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">