• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

If I am conveying property to Person A can I reserve an easement to Person B to cross

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rightwest

New York
If I am conveying property to Person A can I reserve an easement to Person B to cross Person A’s property. Does it matter that Person B is not a party to the conveyance.
thanks

drewguy

New York
If I am conveying property to Person A can I reserve an easement to Person B to cross Person A’s property. Does it matter that Person B is not a party to the conveyance.
thanks
Sure, but you'll also need to convey an easement to B and record it as such.

rightwest

Would you please advise the section of laws of New York or case law that covers this

And you response was "Yes".
What law applies here? Thanks

HomeGuru

What law applies here? Thanks
**A: no, it does not matter.

154NH773

What law applies here?
As you've already been told; Yes, you can convey an easement across property YOU OWN. You must do it before the property is sold, and you should disclose the easement to person "A".
Provided that the easement does not violate any law or ordinance, there is no law I know of that prevents you from granting the easement.
You may not be legally required to disclose the easement, as long as it is filed and available during a timely search of the titles.
It may be fraud or misrepresentation if you attempted to hide the easement from party "A".

justalayman

You may not be legally required to disclose the easement, as long as it is filed and available during a timely search of the titles.
It may be fraud or misrepresentation if you attempted to hide the easement from party "A".
if they are in the process of selling now, it will not be recorded soon enough to be included in the "of public record" statement.

what they need to do is disclose the sale includes the easement. Anything less is going to cause some serious grief.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">