• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illegal for neighbor to place note in my driveway mailbox?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

targatex

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Texas

My neighbor has placed a note in my mailbox, a personal note addressed to me.

Has he broken a federal law or postal regulation in opening my mailbox for the purpose of delivering a note to me?

Why is it relevant? He is being a real jerk about mowing on my side of an unmarked property line - I asked him nicely to watch it, he responded by delivering a note. Now my greater concern is that this guy has no qualms about walking next door to my mailbox, opening it, and sticking his hand in my mailbox!

Again, is there a Fed. Code or Postal Reg. that I can use to threaten him with opening another person's personal mailbox? The mailbox is at the end of my personal driveway in a normal little suburban house. ( I would love to cite a code or even provide a photocopy of the applicable code/regulation)

All you attorneys out there: Thanks...from a guy who gave up before finishing 1L.

HomeGuru

targatex said:

Has he broken a federal law or postal regulation in opening my mailbox for the purpose of delivering a note to me?

Why is it relevant? He is being a real jerk about mowing on my side of an unmarked property line - I asked him nicely to watch it, he responded by delivering a note. Now my greater concern is that this guy has no qualms about walking next door to my mailbox, opening it, and sticking his hand in my mailbox!

Again, is there a Fed. Code or Postal Reg. that I can use to threaten him with opening another person's personal mailbox? The mailbox is at the end of my personal driveway in a normal little suburban house. ( I would love to cite a code or even provide a photocopy of the applicable code/regulation)

All you attorneys out there: Thanks...from a guy who gave up before finishing 1L.
**A: you do have internet access correct? And you know about the cool search feature on this forum correct. Well use them.

PghREA

Log onto the US Postal Service web site, you will get an answer there.

Side Note: If you neighbor is mowing your yard and you're not happy about it - send him to me. My DH would be extremely happy if the neighbors would mow our yard!

JETX

targatex said:

Short answer.... your neighbors placing non-delivered mail into the USPS mailbox (you don't own it), is 'illegal'.

"Now my greater concern is that this guy has no qualms about walking next door to my mailbox, opening it, and sticking his hand in my mailbox!".
You really cannot be serious!!! :eek:
Get a life!! Read a few of the messages on this forum and you will see some REAL problems that others have in life. You will see that your little piss-ant problem isn't enough for anyone to even worry about.

Shel77

IMHO I think it's a big deal I would be extreamly mad if my neighbor opened my mailbox and placed something inside it amazes me how many people do not realize that this is illegal. Anyway, here is on link I found you can search 18 USC 1725 and get quite a few. http://pe.usps.gov/text/dmm/d041.htm

JETX

Shel77 said:
IMHO I think it's a big deal I would be extreamly mad if my neighbor opened my mailbox and placed something inside it amazes me how many people do not realize that this is illegal. Anyway, here is on link I found you can search 18 USC 1725 and get quite a few. http://pe.usps.gov/text/dmm/d041.htm
Be sure to give this OP the contact information for the US Postal Inspectors. I am sure that they will run right out and investigate this most heinous 'crime'. :D

targatex

Get a life!! Read a few of the messages on this forum and you will see some REAL problems that others have in life. You will see that your little piss-ant problem isn't enough for anyone to even worry about.

JETX - get a life? That's a very intersting comment from someone who has posted to this site - how many - almost 26,000 times! Sounds like you need a life mate. I quit law school to do an MBA and now work with one of the Fortune 5 top companies. Not 500, 5. I've traveled the world, and I live in a huge house in a very nice area, I restore old Porsches in my spare time (the Targa in targatex, though the reference to an old Italian race and the model Porsche created from it may be a bit too culturally rich for you), I'm married to my high-school sweetheart.

What I don't have time for is a jerk neighbor who bullies neighborhood children selling candy door-to-door (lectures them not to solicit), runs his weed eater at 7am on Saturdays and plays his music too loud. But there's no ordinance against being a first class jerk, no law (in our area) against his obsessive lawn maintenance, and it is difficult and time consuming to pursue a noise ordiance complaint, as has been noted repeatedly in this forum.

But I'm thinking with this one that I may have something where I could file a complaint...and lay out the other stuff too in a certified letter, cc the Homeowner's Association...wake him up...and solve a problem for me and several of my neighbors.

So that's the fact pattern here. If you feel this is all irrelevant, ignore the thread and go to your 26,001st post - you better get on it if you're catch HOMEGURU, he's at almost 53,000 posts already.

Last edited by a moderator:

ralph31

righton targatex

All States
There are a "couple of heavy long time posters" on this site that should be thanked for the time they give in response to questions. "Having said that", [a cliche, that I'm sick of] there are a "couple of heavy long time posters" on this site that are sometimes a bit too cute. They should pause and realize that they are responding to posters who perceive they have, and do, have a problem.

They do not deserve the sometmes rude responses that a "couple of heavy long time posters" sometimes spiel.

kathrynne

targatex said:
JETX - get a life? That's a very intersting comment from someone who has posted to this site - how many - almost 26,000 times!

So that's the fact pattern here. If you feel this is all irrelevant, ignore the thread and go to your 26,001st post - you better get on it if you're catch HOMEGURU, he's at almost 53,000 posts already. Loser.
Hmmm ... you come to a forum where people VOLUNTEER to answer your questions and you give them crap for being consistent volunteers? Good attitude.

That's a whole lot of answers provided by JETX and HomeGuru, you idiot! Including answering MY questions pretty darned quickly and succinctly--thanks again, folks!

Perhaps putting life in perspective is what you need? Since you obviously have such a glamorous life,that is. Or else you should PAY an attorney to tell you to get that perspective?

JETX

targatex said:
I quit law school to do an MBA and now work with one of the Fortune 5 top companies.
Quite a downgrade, huh??? Couldn't hack it in real school, so got your MBA. Did your diploma include a job application to McDonalds??

Not 500, 5.
Looks like you left the 'k' of that 5, huh??

I've traveled the world
Simple to claim with the anonymity of the internet.... but not a big deal.... I have also traveled extensively.

and I live in a huge house in a very nice area
Again, easy to claim. But I live in a huge house... in a very nice area.... and own several others.

I restore old Porsches in my spare time (the Targa in targatex, though the reference to an old Italian race and the model Porsche created from it may be a bit too culturally rich for you)
Is it true that getting parts for those little Hot Wheels is kinda' tough???

I'm married to my high-school sweetheart.
No big deal. Half the football team, including me, slept with her!!!
By the way, does she take that little coin changer and credit card machine when she goes out on a 'date'??

What I don't have time for is a jerk neighbor who bullies neighborhood children selling candy door-to-door (lectures them not to solicit), runs his weed eater at 7am on Saturdays and plays his music too loud.
I would love to hear what your neighbors have to say about you!! At least they care enough to leave little 'kiss my ass' notes in your mailbox!!!

But there's no ordinance against being a first class jerk
If it were, you would have an reservation at the 'bar-hotel'.

no law (in our area) against his obsessive lawn maintenance, and it is difficult and time consuming to pursue a noise ordiance complaint, as has been noted repeatedly in this forum.
Gee, with those absolutely terrible problems in your neighborhood, I am surprised you haven't moved already. I hear that the backwoods of Arkansas can be mighty quiet!!

But I'm thinking with this one that I may have something where I could file a complaint...and lay out the other stuff too in a certified letter, cc the Homeowner's Association...wake him up...and solve a problem for me and several of my neighbors.
Wanna' bet?? Your 'complaints' are petty, 3rd grade crap. Do the neighbors a favor and move. :D

Shel77

I am not looking to get bashed here, but I think that some have taken the op's question a bit to far. After all, he never said he wanted to call the authorities, he simply wanted to know if what happened to him was illegal, and what law this neighbor had actually violated. Granted he could have searched this site or Google and in all likelihood would have gotten his answer but if everyone did that this site wouldn't really have a purpose any longer other than to search archives. Anyhow, point is that a lot of identity thefts begin with stolen mail, and if he has issues with this neighbor he has a right to be concerned that this man thinks nothing of opening a mailbox that does not belong to him. The fact is that it’s illegal so I think it’s completely appropriate to post this question here. If you think its such a waste of time and so many people have such bigger issues to deal with, then why not go help them and not waste your time scolding someone for posting a concern on illegal activity by a neighbor on a site that is designed for exactly that and in the correct forum even. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">