• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it illegal to put up fence only on one side?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yijung

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

New Orleans, Louisiana

I am wondering if its illegal to build my fence on one side only? My neighbor beside me already has his fence, and the neighbor behind me also has his.

I figured I can just build one on my other side and just wait until I have more money to do the rest.

Is it legal or to do this? What if my neighbor don't want me to do that, but I am not touching his fence whatsoever?

Just asking for future references...

Thank you in advance.

154NH773

As long as you stay on your property, and do not attach to someone else's fence, I doubt if there are any legal restrictions other than normal local building codes that would apply.

CLJM

The answer might also depend on if the property is located within a Homeowner's Association---if so, local codes AND the HOA documents/guidelines would dictate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">