• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illinois law regarding use of surveliance cameras

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NASA

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois
I have just put up surveillance cameras around my house. I did this in response to increasing hostilities with a neighbor. It took me 12 years of putting up with her BS before I finally had enough and put the cameras up. When she saw the cameras she immediately called the local police. They came out and told me that the cameras can only view my property, and not hers. Keep in mind that they were vey understanding of the situation I'm in living next to this nut case. They have been to her house many other times unrelated to our dispute, and know she is a problem. Does anyone know the exact law in Illinois pertaining to surveillance camera use?

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois
I have just put up surveillance cameras around my house. I did this in response to increasing hostilities with a neighbor. It took me 12 years of putting up with her BS before I finally had enough and put the cameras up. When she saw the cameras she immediately called the local police. They came out and told me that the cameras can only view my property, and not hers. Keep in mind that they were vey understanding of the situation I'm in living next to this nut case. They have been to her house many other times unrelated to our dispute, and know she is a problem. Does anyone know the exact law in Illinois pertaining to surveillance camera use?
If you don't have audio, if you don't focus your cameras on any area of your neighbor's property that could be considered "private," and if you don't use drones, video surveillance of your own property and the public areas surrounding it should not violate Illinois' recording laws.

Here is a link to the recording laws in Illinois, 720 Ill Comp Stat 5/26-4: http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/fulltext.asp?DocName=072000050K26-4

Here is a link to the new Freedom from Drone Surveillance Act that went into effect in January of this year: http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=3520&ChapterID=54

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">